Delaware County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about an central-east county of Iowa. For other uses, see Delaware (disambiguation).
Guide to Delaware County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Delaware County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
Delaware County Courthouse
301 E. Main
P. O. Box 527
Manchester, IA 52057-0527
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
First Lutheran Church, Manchester
- Records of the First Lutheran Church, Manchester, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Delaware County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Delaware County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Delaware County, Iowa newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Delaware County, Iowa Place-name search for these and other records in the Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see, FHL Catalog Place-name Search). *NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Delaware County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Delaware - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Delaware County, IAGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Delaware County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback