Delaware IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
The Delaware Indians were originally known as the Lenape or Lenni Lenape Indians, the name they called themselves. The American colonists named them the Delaware Indians.
Clans: Tukwsi-t, the wolf; Pukuwanku, the turtle; and Pele, the turkey
Original homelands: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware
1600's: First contact was with the Dutch
1638: Swedish lived moved into the Delaware Bay area
1700's: Tribal members began to settle along the Ohio River
1835: Many members had resettled in Kansas
1867: Tribebegan to settle west of the Mississippi River some removed to Canada
----: settled / removed to Oklahoma
The Delaware or Lenape were forced to cede lands and migrate many times.
Additional Reference to the History of the Tribe
The Delaware Nation is currently found primarily in western Oklahoma.
P.O. Box 825
Anadarko, OK 73005
31064 State Highway #281
Anadarko, OK 73005
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Delaware||Anadarko Area Office, 1881-1962||Fort Worth||-||Rolls 218-23|
|Delaware, Kansas||Fort Leavenworth Agency, 1824-1962||Washington D.C.||Rolls 300-03||-|
|Delaware, Kansas||Kansas Agency, 1851-55||Washington D.C.||Rolls 364-70||-|
|Delaware, Kansas||Delaware Agency, 1855-73||Washington D.C.||Rolls 274-80||-|
|Delaware,Indian Terr.||Cherokee Agency, 1867-74||Washington D.C.||Rolls 101-12||-|
|Delaware, Indian Terr.||Union Agency, 1875-80||Washington D.C.||Rolls 865-77||-|
Important Web Sites
- Constitution of the Delaware Nation of Oklahoma
- Brief history of the Delaware Indians in Ohio
- The Delaware Nation Official Website
- Official Website of the Delaware Tribe of Indians
- Delaware Tribe Web Site
- Delaware Tribe Wikipedia
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More