Dendron, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(seo paragraph; internal link)
(2 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
Guide to '''Dendron, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
+
Guide to '''Dendron, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.  
  
[[Image:St. Matthew's Dendron Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right]]  
+
[[Image:St. Matthew's Dendron Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right|St. Matthew's Dendron Lancashire.jpg]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Dendron St Matthew was created a chapelry in 1773 from [[Aldingham, Lancashire|Aldingham]] ancient parish.  
+
DENDRON (St Matthew) was created a '''chapelry''' in 1773 from [[Aldingham, Lancashire|Aldingham]], union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, county of Lancaster, 2½ miles(S. S. E.) from Dalton. This place lies west-by-south of the church of Aldingham, and includes Leece. In 1652, the famous Quaker George Fox preached with some success at the chapel and noted that "no priest had ever preached in it" before this time. It was not until 1671 that a Minister was properly appointed to serve Dendron. Dendron did not become a parish church until 1892.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50917#s4 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.</ref>
  
 
The village is mentioned in the [[Domesday Book]] as Dene, and the name is thought to mean sheltering place for deer - it is only a coincidence that it is the same as the Greek for tree.<br>  
 
The village is mentioned in the [[Domesday Book]] as Dene, and the name is thought to mean sheltering place for deer - it is only a coincidence that it is the same as the Greek for tree.<br>  
 
The most notable feature of the village is the 17th century St Matthew's Church. It was originally built as a chapel of ease in 1642, and it spent most of its early life as a school for the village children.
 
 
In 1652, the famous Quaker George Fox preached with some success at the chapel and noted that "no priest had ever preached in it" before this time. It was not until 1671 that a Minister was properly appointed to serve Dendron.
 
 
The renowned artist George Romney, born in nearby Dalton, was educated for a short time at the school but was removed in 1745 by his father because he had failed to make any progress.
 
  
 
In 1833 a new schoolroom was built opposite the churchyard, replacing what had once been a cockpit, and in the same year the vicarage was built. The schoolroom still stands today as a meeting room and Sunday school, but was replaced in the 1870s by another, larger building some distance south of the village in which were educated most of the children from the villages of Dendron, Leece and Gleaston. This building later became a primary school, but in 1994 it ceased to be a school at all when it was amalgamated with two other small rural schools into Low Furness C of E School in Urswick; it is now a house. Beside it stands a War Memorial commemorating parishioners lost in the First World War.  
 
In 1833 a new schoolroom was built opposite the churchyard, replacing what had once been a cockpit, and in the same year the vicarage was built. The schoolroom still stands today as a meeting room and Sunday school, but was replaced in the 1870s by another, larger building some distance south of the village in which were educated most of the children from the villages of Dendron, Leece and Gleaston. This building later became a primary school, but in 1994 it ceased to be a school at all when it was amalgamated with two other small rural schools into Low Furness C of E School in Urswick; it is now a house. Beside it stands a War Memorial commemorating parishioners lost in the First World War.  
 
Dendron did not become a parish church until 1892.
 
 
The modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle the village has since 1974 been in Cumbria.<br>
 
 
"DENDRON, '''a chapelry, in the parish of Aldingham''', union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, county of Lancaster, 2½ miles south by southeast&nbsp;of&nbsp;Dalton."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 28-32. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50917 Adapted. Date accessed: 29 June 2010.</ref> The chapelry registers of christenings and burials commence from the year 1788.
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 77: Line 65:
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 
|-
 
|-
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" scope="col" colspan="4" | '''[[Aldingham, Lancashire|ALDINGHAM]] PARISH (1539) Indexes '''''(ancient parish containing DENDRON Chapelry)''
+
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" scope="col" | '''[[Aldingham, Lancashire|ALDINGHAM]] PARISH (1539) Indexes '''''(ancient parish containing DENDRON Chapelry)''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |  
Line 144: Line 132:
 
== References  ==
 
== References  ==
  
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}  
+
{{Reflist}}  
 +
 
 +
&nbsp;{{Lancashire}}  
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 16:50, 26 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Dendron, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

St. Matthew's Dendron Lancashire.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

DENDRON (St Matthew) was created a chapelry in 1773 from Aldingham, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, county of Lancaster, 2½ miles(S. S. E.) from Dalton. This place lies west-by-south of the church of Aldingham, and includes Leece. In 1652, the famous Quaker George Fox preached with some success at the chapel and noted that "no priest had ever preached in it" before this time. It was not until 1671 that a Minister was properly appointed to serve Dendron. Dendron did not become a parish church until 1892.[1]

The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Dene, and the name is thought to mean sheltering place for deer - it is only a coincidence that it is the same as the Greek for tree.

In 1833 a new schoolroom was built opposite the churchyard, replacing what had once been a cockpit, and in the same year the vicarage was built. The schoolroom still stands today as a meeting room and Sunday school, but was replaced in the 1870s by another, larger building some distance south of the village in which were educated most of the children from the villages of Dendron, Leece and Gleaston. This building later became a primary school, but in 1994 it ceased to be a school at all when it was amalgamated with two other small rural schools into Low Furness C of E School in Urswick; it is now a house. Beside it stands a War Memorial commemorating parishioners lost in the First World War.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Church records

Church of England

Dendron chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Aldingham to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

FS = FamilySearch.org
LOPC Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk
LBMDLancashireBMD.org.uk
AC = Ancestry.co.uk
FREG = FreeReg


DENDRON Chapelry (1810) Indexes
FS None None None
LOPC 1810-1873 None 1816-1873
LBMD None None None
ALDINGHAM PARISH (1539) Indexes (ancient parish containing DENDRON Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1561-1756 1539-1754 None
LOPC 1638-1877 1638-1848 1638-1877
LBMD None None None
AC 1542-1695 1542-1695 1542-1695


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Dendron and comprising the whole ancient parish of Aldingham to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ALDINGHAM PARISH page.


Chapelry of Dendron registers.Microfilm of original records in the Cumbria Record Office, Barrow-in- Furness, Cumbria.
Record contains births and baptisms, 1788-1812, burials, 1803-1812, baptisms, 1813-1918, marriages, 1892-1937, burials, 1816-1930, marriage banns, 1892-1977.
The chapelry of Dendron is in the parish of Aldingham.
Cumbria Record Office no.: BPR/31/I1/1-3, I2/1, I4/1, I5/1

Dendron chapelry Bishop's transcripts Microfilm of original records in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.

Dendron is a chapelry in Aldingham parish.

Baptisms, 1810-1811, 1813-1860; Burials, 1816, 1819-1821, 1824-1840, 1842, 1844-1847, 1849-1859. FHL BRITISH Film 1040315 Item 5
Baptisms, 1860-1873; Burials, 1860-1873. FHL BRITISH Film 1040490 Item 1

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306914.


Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.