Dendron, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Dendron St Matthew was created a chapelry in 1773 from Aldingham, Lancashire ancient parish.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Dene, and the name is thought to mean sheltering place for deer - it is only a coincidence that it is the same as the Greek for tree.
The most notable feature of the village is the 17th century St Matthew's Church. It was originally built as a chapel of ease in 1642, and it spent most of its early life as a school for the village children.
In 1652, the famous Quaker George Fox preached with some success at the chapel and noted that "no priest had ever preached in it" before this time. It was not until 1671 that a Minister was properly appointed to serve Dendron.
The renowned artist George Romney, born in nearby Dalton, was educated for a short time at the school but was removed in 1745 by his father because he had failed to make any progress.
In 1833 a new schoolroom was built opposite the churchyard, replacing what had once been a cockpit, and in the same year the vicarage was built. The schoolroom still stands today as a meeting room and Sunday school, but was replaced in the 1870s by another, larger building some distance south of the village in which were educated most of the children from the villages of Dendron, Leece and Gleaston. This building later became a primary school, but in 1994 it ceased to be a school at all when it was amalgamated with two other small rural schools into Low Furness C of E School in Urswick; it is now a house. Beside it stands a War Memorial commemorating parishioners lost in the First World War.
Dendron did not become a parish church until 1892.
The modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle the village has since 1974 been in Cumbria.
"DENDRON, a chapelry, in the parish of Aldingham, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, county of Lancaster, 2½ miles south by southeast of Dalton." The chapelry registers of christenings and burials commence from the year 1788.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Chapelry of Dendron registers.Microfilm of original records in the Cumbria Record Office, Barrow-in- Furness, Cumbria.
Record contains births and baptisms, 1788-1812, burials, 1803-1812, baptisms, 1813-1918, marriages, 1892-1937, burials, 1816-1930, marriage banns, 1892-1977.
The chapelry of Dendron is in the parish of Aldingham.
Cumbria Record Office no.: BPR/31/I1/1-3, I2/1, I4/1, I5/1
Dendron chapelry Bishop's transcripts Microfilm of original records in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Dendron is a chapelry in Aldingham parish.
Baptisms, 1810-1811, 1813-1860; Burials, 1816, 1819-1821, 1824-1840, 1842, 1844-1847, 1849-1859. FHL BRITISH Film 1040315 Item 5
Baptisms, 1860-1873; Burials, 1860-1873. FHL BRITISH Film 1040490 Item 1
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306914.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 28-32. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50917 Adapted. Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback