District of Columbia CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cemetery records, such as tombstone and sexton’s records, have value in that they may give birth and death dates, age at death, name of spouse and children, a maiden name or, occasionally, a birthplace. Tombstones may have symbols or insignias indicating military service and social or religious affiliations. It is important to look at surrounding tombstones because family members may also be buried nearby.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Library has the original Registers of Burials in District of Columbia Cemeteries, 1847 to 1938 in six volumes. FHL film 887587
The DAR collection, described in District of Columbia Genealogy, has many tombstone inscriptions. In some cases, you will need to write to the cemetery sexton's office for information. The oldest existing cemeteries are:
Rock Creek Church Road and Webster Street N.W.
St. Paul's Episcopal Parish
Washington, DC 20011
The Daughters of the American Colonists have transcribed the tombstones of this cemetery FHL book 975.3 V22d; film 874221
1801 E Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
They have a "Famous People" card file. BillionGraves has headstone photos and transcriptions.
1300 Bladensburg Road, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002
2219 Lincoln Road, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002
The stones were transcribed by the DAR FHL book 975.3 V22da
3001 R Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007
2201 N. Capitol Street, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002-1103
Arlington, VA 22211
Historical Cemeteries (remains already relocated if known)
- Beall Burying Ground
- Eastern Methodist Cemetery
- Female Union Band Society Burying Ground
- Graceland Cemetery
- Holmeads Cemetery
- Methodist Cemetery
- Mount Zion Cemetery
- Old Methodist Burying Ground
- Presbyterian Graveyard
- Rosemont Cemetery
- St. Francis DeSales Cemetery
- St. Matthew's Catholic Cemetery
- St. Patrick's Catholic Cemetery
- St. Peter's Catholic Burial Ground
- St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery
- Young Mens Baptist Cemetery
- Find A Grave – Search by name, date, or cemetery; browse by location or "claim to fame;" or add burial records.
- USGenWeb D.C. D.C. cemetery links.
- This page was last modified on 5 July 2012, at 17:04.
- This page has been accessed 3,775 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More