Dodleston, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Part of this parish is in Flintshire, Wales. See also Dodleston, Flintshire, Wales.
In the 1800s - Dodleston, St. Mary is an ancient parish, partly in Cheshire, originally including Dodleston and Lower Kinnerton (Cheshire) and partly in Flintshire, Wales, including Higher Kinnerton (Flintshire). A church has been on this site, adjacent to a former motte and bailey castle, since at least medieval times but only the base of its tower, which dates from the early 16th century, remains. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1870 in perpendicular style by John Douglas. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Chester.
Today, Dodleston is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, situated on the border between England and Wales. Dodleston was a township in Broxton Hundred. It included the villages of Higher Kinnerton and Lower Kinnerton and the hamlets of Balderton and Gorstella.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998)
- Registration events may be searched on-line at Cheshire BMD
Dodleston parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Dodleston (1570) Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1570-1909
|FS BT'S||1599-1836|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Parish registers for Doddleston, 1570-1983: The parish church is known as St. Mary's. Higher Kinnerton is a township in Doddleston parish. [Cheshire Record Office call number: P 115/1/1-6, P 115/2/1-2, P 115/3/1-2, P 115/4, P 115/8, P 115/6491/1-2.]
|Parish registers content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1570-1646, 1662-1837. Baptisms, 1838-1903. Burials, 1838-1880. Marriage licences, 1805-1847.|| BRITISH |
2068901 Items 1 - 12
|Marriages, 1837-1983. Marriages, 1949-1961 (All Saints' Church, Higher Kinnerton).|| BRITISH |
2356820 Items 1 - 2
Bishop's transcripts for Dodleston, 1584-1872 Cheshire Record Office call number: EDB 78.
|Bishop's transcripts content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1584-1586, 1599, 1607-1609, 1611, 1613, 1617-1618, 1624, 1629-1633, 1638, 1641, 1662-1664, 1668, 1670-1678, 1681-1683, 1685, 1690, 1694-1698, 1703-1716, 1718, 1720-1728, 1731-1735, 1737-1769, 1771-1837. Baptisms, burials, 1838-1847, 1861-1872. Baptisms, 1851.|| BRITISH |
1655667 Item 2
Dodleston, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1867.
The registers of the Chapel have been indexed by the Dodleston Family History Group and are available on microfiche at the Cheshire Record Office.
Formed in 1985, this is a small research group of some 12 to 15 members who meet at roughly monthly intervals in each other's homes during the winter months and have visits to local places of interest during the summer. In 1994, the Group published Dodleston: the History of a Marcher Parish (now out of print). It has also transcribed and published in printed and microfiche formats the Parish Registers of St. Mary's Church, Dodleston (1570-1970) and All Saints' Church, Higher Kinnerton (1868-1970), as well as a full record of the inscriptions on the gravestones in St. Mary's churchyard. The printed and microfiche copies of these can be referred to at Cheshire County Record Office, Chester. Considerable work has also been undertaken on the Parish Tithe Map of 1839-42, the Eaton Rentals, the Census returns, Churchwardens' Accounts, and Court Leet records for the parish.
The parish includes a part of Flintshire and is of ancient foundation. Within its boundaries lie a Norman motte and bailey castle, the remains of two 17th-century duck decoys, a large mediaeval moated site, and four ancient homesteads. For many years, much of the area was owned by the Grosvenors of Eaton Hall, whilst in the base of the church tower are the graves of Sir Thomas Egerton, who was Chancellor to Queen Elizabeth I and James I, his first wife, and his son Thomas.
Further information from:
Bernard Dennis, M.B.E.,
68 Penfold Way,
Chester CH4 9NL
Tel. 01244 660102
Mob. 07966 436073
Please enclose a stamped addressed envelope
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241232.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–53) Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
- Hawarden Poor Law Union (1853–71)
- Chester Poor Law Union(1871–1930)
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 145–148&
- Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 129–130, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 200, ISBN 0 300 09588 0