Dorset Civil RegistrationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The mandatory civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths in Dorset was introduced on 1 July 1837 and it was throughout England. The registration districts were organised based on poor law unions. Records are held in the Dorset Record Office.
Civil Registration Districts in Dorset
- Beaminster - included Somerset parishes
- Sherborne - included Somerset parishes that were later transferred to Dorset
In 1837 some Dorset parishes were included in registration districts organised in neighbouring counties
- Axminster - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Devon
- Chard - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Somerset
- Wambrook transferred to Somerset in 1895
- Mere - included Dorset parishes
- Wincanton - included Dorset parishes
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More