Douglas County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Douglas County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Douglas County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Douglas County Courthouse|
111 E. 11th Street
Lawrence, Kansas 66044
Douglas County Courthouse
111 E 11th;
Lawrence, KS 66044
Clerk Discharge Court has probate and court records from 1863
naturalization records 1867-1953. Registrar of Deeds has land records.
Spencer Research Lib has marriage 1863-1912. 
1855--Douglas County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Lawrence 
Early migration routes to and from Douglas County, Kansas Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Douglas County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kansas.
- Men from Douglas county enlisted in the 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A and 20th Regiment, Company H.
Societies and Libraries
Spencer Research Library—Kansas Collections (includes Douglas County Records)
University of Kansas
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045-7616
Phone: (785) 864-4334
Watkins Community Museum of History
1047 Massachusetts Street
Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: (785) 841-4109
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW Sixth Avenue
Topeka, KS 66615-1099
Phone: (785) 272-8681
Fax: (785) 272-8682
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project: Douglas County, Kansas. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Douglas County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Douglas County, Kansas page 250 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)