Douglas County, Nebraska GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Nebraska-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- Douglas County Courthouse
1701 Farnam Street
Omaha NE 68183-1001
Official ebpage of Douglas County: http://www.douglascounty-ne.gov/
History of Douglas County : Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska, Douglas County, Produced by Liz Lee
Douglas County cities and villags
- Omaha Surveyed original layout and settlers involved.
In December 1863 the First Transcontinental Railroad started from Omaha, Nebraska.
- Union Pacific Railroad
- American Memory from Library of Congress has maps of the Union Pacific Railroad
- Wikipedia article on the Union Pacific Railroad
- Railroad Museum in Omaha, Nebraska
Cemeteries and Obituaries
- Douglas County Cemeteries from RootsWeb - Links to some cemeteries and transcriptions
- Omaha obituary index. Lists over 150,000 obituaries from Omaha and surrounding areas.
Google maps shows many Douglas County churches
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Omaha Branch Record of Members 1929-1942 at Family History Library
- Omaha South Branch Record of Members 1941 at Family History Library
- Winter QuartersBishops Accounts 1840-1859 for Bishop Edward Hunter. Also includes Nauvoo, Illinois 5th Ward and Salt Lake City, Utah 13th Ward,
- Douglas County Court
1819 Farnam St.
Omaha, NE 68183
Telephone: (402) 444-7000
- Douglas County Court Directory Lists courts in Douglas County their addresses, their online resources , and links to their individual websites.
- DoGIS.com Geographical Information Systems for Douglas County. Locate addresses and land parcels in the county
- Grand Army of the Republic in Douglas County, Nebraska -- Provisional Organization - July 10, 1867 -- Permanent Organization June 12, 1877
- History of Nebraska GAR
- GAR information is available through the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
- Original Post
- Post # 1 OMAHA Chartered Dec. 13, 1866 by National Headquarters 15 members
- Later Posts
- Post #2 FT. OMAHA Phil Kearny Jan. 1, 1876-1896 Post moved to South Omaha Membership: Total-136+
- Post #2-A South Omaha Phil Kearny Oct 5, 1896-1924 Charter surrendered April 30, 1924 Membership: Total-304+
- Post # 7 Omaha George Custer June 5, 1876-1946 Changed Jan 9, 1922 when last 3 Omaha posts were combined to Old Guard (A reference to their being the last of their kind) Membership: Total-477+
- Post #110 Omaha Aug. 18, 1882-1921 Combined with Post #7 Omaha, changed on July (23), 1888 to U.S.Grant, Membership: Charter-18 Total-344+
- Post # 262 Omaha April 6, 1888-1921, Combined with Post 7 Gate City , (Post originally requested name of Thomas J. Potter) changed January 30, 1889 to Phil Sheridan, changed March 21, 1890 to George Crook, Membership: Total-400+
- Post # 282 South Omaha R.R. Livingston May 7, 1889-1896 Combined with Post 2-A 1827-1888 Membership: Charter-N/A Total-66+
- Post # 300 Florence James Isom March 29, 1890-1890 Charter surrendered 1/29/189,1Membership: Total-12
- Post # 337 South Omaha Samuel Dennis April 16, 1895-1896 Combined with Post 2-A Membership: Charter-27 Total-34
- Library of Congress Chronicling America newspaper project contains digital copies of newspapers for Douglas County, Nebraska. Some are foreign language newspaprs. Years of publication vary.
- Probate records 1912-1970housed by the North Platte Genealogical Society at North Platte, Nebraska
- Douglas County births from early Omaha newspapers at the W. Dale Clark Library in Omaha. These birth announcements were extracted by those looking for obituaries in the same papers.
- Obituaries from Omaha and surroundong areas, Nearly 19,000 listings from Omaha newspapers.
Societies and Libraries
- Greater Omaha Genealogical Society
- Historical Society of Douglas County
- Webpage: http://www.omahahistory.org/
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Linkpendium links for Douglas County, Nebraska
- Linkforum for Douglas County, Nebraska
- Cyndi's List For Nebraska then scroll to Douglas County. Links to websites for multiple subjects
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News