Douglas County, Nevada GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Nevada-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1861--Douglas County was created 25 November 1861 as an original county. County seat: Minden 
|Centerville||Holbrook Junction||Minden||Tahoe Village|
|Dresslerville||Indian Hills||Mottsville||Topaz Lake|
|Edgewood||Johnson Lane||Round Hill||Walleys Hot Springs|
- Alpine County, California
- El Dorado County, California
- Mono County, California
- Placer County, California
Early migration routes to and from Douglas County, Nevada Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
- Johnson's Cutoff 1850-1851 (aka Placerville Route, Lake Tahoe Route and Day's Route) from Carson City, Nevada past the south end of Lake Tahoe going south and then west to Placerville, California and Sacramento
- Daggett Pass 1850 (aka Georgetown Pack Trail) Carson Valley, Nevada to Johnson's Cutoff near South Lake Tahoe, California
- Walker River-Sonora Road 1852-1854 from the Carson Trail south to the Walker River along the base of the Sierra Nevada until it ascends to Sonora Pass and then down to Strawberry and Sonora, California
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Reno newspapers going back to 1870. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
451 marriages from 11 Feb 1862 to 12 Jun 1919 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
Douglas County Historical Society
Carson Valley Museum & Cultural Center
1477 U. S. Highway 395 N, Suite B
Gardnerville, Nevada 89410
Phone: (775) 782-2555
Carson Valley Historical Society
P. O. Box 165
Genoa, Nevada 89411
Douglas County Public Library
1470 Albite Rd
Gardnerville, NV 89410
Douglas County Public Library
1625 Library Ln
Minden, NV 89423
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Douglas County, Oregon page 442, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 2 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Central Overland Route" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Overland_Route (accessed 4 August 2011).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News