East Crompton, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
Line 20: Line 20:
  
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 +
 +
Parish registers for East Crompton, 1845-1964 Microfilm of original records formerly held at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.<br>East Crompton was a chapelry in Crompton township, Prestwich parish. It became an ecclesiastical parish in 1844. The church is known as St. James'.<br>Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 216.<br>
 +
 +
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 200px; height: 272px;"
 +
|-
 +
| Content<br>
 +
| Film<br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1845-1935. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2356151 Items 3 - 5 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1847-Aug. 1938. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2356152 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, Aug. 1938-1951. Burials, 1847-1928, 1954, 1964. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2356153 Items 1 - 3 <br>
 +
|}
 +
 +
<br>
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====

Revision as of 21:14, 23 October 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

East Crompton Saint Jamesis an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Shaw Ecclesiastical Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Cowlishaw and High Crompton.

CROMPTON, a township, in the borough, parochial chapelry, and union of Oldham, parish of Prestwichcum-Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Oldham; containing, with the villages of Shaw, High Compton, and Cowlishaw, 6729 inhabitants. This, the most northern part of the chapelry, has the largest population of any of the townships connected with Oldham, and its growth in trade has fully kept pace with the other parts of this flourishing district. A bleak situation, and somewhat sterile soil, have produced a race of hardy and laborious men, and the close connexion with Saddleworth has given to the people much of the manners and character which prevail in that hilly country. The population is employed in the spinning and manufacture of cotton, the making of hats, and in collieries and stone-quarries. The ancient mansion of Crompton Hall, having fallen into decay, has lately been rebuilt by the owner, Henry Travis Milne, Esq., a descendant of the feudal family of Crompton. Shaw, which lies on the east side of the village of Crompton, has a parochial chapel. The former edifice was of great antiquity, and was twice enlarged and re-edified during the last century; the present structure was built in the latter part of it, by subscription, aided by a grant. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwich; net income, £250. In 1845 a district or parish was formed under the 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37, called East Crompton; and a church, dedicated to St. James, was built in 1847: the edifice is in the pointed style, with a tower, and contains 586 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patrons, the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £93. There are various places of worship for dissenters; and several schools.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 729-733. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50906 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Parish registers for East Crompton, 1845-1964 Microfilm of original records formerly held at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
East Crompton was a chapelry in Crompton township, Prestwich parish. It became an ecclesiastical parish in 1844. The church is known as St. James'.
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 216.

Content
Film
Baptisms, 1845-1935.
FHL BRITISH Film
2356151 Items 3 - 5
Marriages, 1847-Aug. 1938.
FHL BRITISH Film
2356152
Marriages, Aug. 1938-1951. Burials, 1847-1928, 1954, 1964.
FHL BRITISH Film
2356153 Items 1 - 3


Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53008 British History online Crompton