East Haven, Connecticut

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Created page with "East Haven is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States. The area now known as East Haven was obtained by Puritan settler...")
 
(Created additional headings for town)
Line 1: Line 1:
East Haven is a town in [[New_Haven_County,_Connecticut|New Haven County]], [[Connecticut]], [[United States]].  
+
East Haven is a town in [[New Haven County, Connecticut|New Haven County]], [[Connecticut]], [[United States]].  
 
+
== Historical Data  ===
The area now known as East Haven was obtained by Puritan settlers Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton on November 29, 1638 as part of the purchase of [[New_Haven,_Connecticut|New Haven]], Connecticut from Sachem Momauguin of the local Quinnipiack tribe. Additional land was, in what is now known as Foxon, was purchased from Indian Chief Montowese on December 11, 1638.  
+
The area now known as East Haven was obtained by Puritan settlers Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton on November 29, 1638 as part of the purchase of [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]], Connecticut from Sachem Momauguin of the local Quinnipiack tribe. Additional land was, in what is now known as Foxon, was purchased from Indian Chief Montowese on December 11, 1638.  
  
 
In 1639 Thomas Gregson, petitioned for the purchase of Solitary Cove, later called Morris Cove. This was granted on August 5, 1644 and was the last piece of land that made up the original town of East Haven. The original town boundaries were from the harbor and Quinnipiac River on the west to the Branford and North Branford town line on the east. The southern boundary is the Long Island Sound to the North Haven town line in the north.  
 
In 1639 Thomas Gregson, petitioned for the purchase of Solitary Cove, later called Morris Cove. This was granted on August 5, 1644 and was the last piece of land that made up the original town of East Haven. The original town boundaries were from the harbor and Quinnipiac River on the west to the Branford and North Branford town line on the east. The southern boundary is the Long Island Sound to the North Haven town line in the north.  
 +
=== Historical Data  ===
 +
 +
=== Town Histories  ===
 +
 +
=== Vital Records  ===
 +
  
 
=== Probate Records  ===
 
=== Probate Records  ===
  
East Haven Probate District covered the Town of East Haven. It lasted August 1868 to 3 January 1883. It was annexed back with New Haven Probate District. The records are with [[New_Haven,_Connecticut|New Haven]].  
+
East Haven Probate District covered the Town of East Haven. It lasted August 1868 to 3 January 1883. It was annexed back with New Haven Probate District. The records are with [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]].  
 +
=== City Directories  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Maps  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Cemeteries  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Churches  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Land Records  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Town Records  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Newspapers  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Libraries and Historical Societies  ===
 +
 
 +
=== References  ===
 +
 
 +
{{reflist}} {{reflist}} '''Adjacent towns:'''''New Haven Co.:
  
 +
{{CTNHa towns}}
 
[[Category:New_Haven_County,_Connecticut]]
 
[[Category:New_Haven_County,_Connecticut]]

Revision as of 19:35, 9 July 2013

East Haven is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States.

Contents

Historical Data =

The area now known as East Haven was obtained by Puritan settlers Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton on November 29, 1638 as part of the purchase of New Haven, Connecticut from Sachem Momauguin of the local Quinnipiack tribe. Additional land was, in what is now known as Foxon, was purchased from Indian Chief Montowese on December 11, 1638.

In 1639 Thomas Gregson, petitioned for the purchase of Solitary Cove, later called Morris Cove. This was granted on August 5, 1644 and was the last piece of land that made up the original town of East Haven. The original town boundaries were from the harbor and Quinnipiac River on the west to the Branford and North Branford town line on the east. The southern boundary is the Long Island Sound to the North Haven town line in the north.

Historical Data

Town Histories

Vital Records

Probate Records

East Haven Probate District covered the Town of East Haven. It lasted August 1868 to 3 January 1883. It was annexed back with New Haven Probate District. The records are with New Haven.

City Directories

Maps

Cemeteries

Churches

Land Records

Town Records

Newspapers

Libraries and Historical Societies

References

Adjacent towns:New Haven Co.: