East Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, ScotlandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
New or East Kilpatrick and Milngavie
Available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/. Browse the scanned pages under 'For non-subscribers,' then search for the parish report.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Event Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
Years Covered FHL Film Number
Births: 1691-1854 1042000
Marriages: 1693-1854 1042000
Deaths: No entries
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library under “Databases on the Network.”
Births: Birth records are blank October 1691–September 1693, October 1694–January 1696, December 1698–February 1700 and April 1704–June 1713; excluding two imperfect entries. They are also blank January 1714–January 1715, November 1719–November 1720, November 1724–May 1727. Leaves prior to 1722, and 1746–1753 are much injured by dampness and want of care. There is one entry for 1825, on the page before August 1805. Irregular entries 1785–1799 are found after 1809.
Marriages: Marriage records are blank October 1705–June 1713, excluding five entries October to December 1710. The leaf at 1713 is much wasted, and entries are imperfect. Records are blank August 1721–May 1727and after 1803 the fact of marriage is not added to the entries of Proclamation.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Note: New Kilpatrick is a Northwestern suburb of Glasgow.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
Minutes 1693–1706, 1708–1709, 1713–1721, 1765–1783
Mortcloth Accounts 1758–1769
Poors' Fund Accounts 1774–1797
Notes relating to Kilpatrick are taken from records of the presbytery of Dunbarton, 1581, 1639–1649
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/889.
Nonconformist Church Records
According to the New Statistical Account for New Kilpatrick for 1839, the population of the parish was 3090. Of that number, 1104 belonged to the Seceders or Dissenters, 31 Episcopalian, and 112 Catholic. The only nonconformist place of worship in the parish was the Relief Church, so the others attended services in neighboring parishes including Old Kilpatrick.
Milngavie Relief Church
Located in the Stirlingshire portion of the parish
In 1787, the church and parish of New Kilpatrick became vacant, and a new minister, presented by the patron, was very much objected to by the parishioners. A previous similar occurrence had resulted in a considerable number of parishioners seceding from the Established Church and joining the Associate Secession Congregation of Craigs in Old Kilpatrick. This time, a petition was presented to the Relief Presbytery of Glasgow for forming a congregation, which was granted. Unsuccessful attempts to build a church, including in the village of Milngavie, and irregular supply of sermon, resulted in the cause faltering. Some of the families attended services in Glasgow while others connected themselves with the Associate Secession Congregation of Craigs. The building of a new cotton factory in Milngavie, and an accompanying increase in population, led to a revival of the cause. Supply of sermon was again applied for and obtained, and the church was completed in 1799. This congregation became United Presbyterian in 1847, United Free Church of Scotland in 1900, and finally returned to the Church of Scotland in 1929.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.
Manager's Minutes 1809–1845
Treasurer's Accounts 1796–1853
Sunday School Minutes 1814–1850
Sunday School Accounts 1815–1837
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/401.
Kelvindock and Knightswood Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
FHL Film Number
Record of members 1848–1856 0104154 item 2