Eastham, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
1643: Nawsett mentioned in a list of towns having freeman able to bear arms. (Plymouth Colony Rec. Vol. VIII, p.177.)
3 March 1645: "...those that goes to dwell at Nossett..." granted land. (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol. II, p.81.)
2 June 1646: Nawsett established as a town. (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol. 11, p. 102.)
7 June 1651: "That the Towne of Nawsett be henceforth called and knwne by the name of Eastham..." (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol. XI, p. 59.)
Section/Villages within the town: Eastham Center, Great Pond, Long Pond, Nausett, North Eastham, South Eastham
Wikipedia: Eastham, Massachusetts
5 March 1678: Eastham and purchasers on both sides to settle the bounds.
16 June 1763: Part established as the district of Wellfeet.
14 July 1772: Part of Harwich annexed.
3 March 1797: Part established as Orleans
9 March 1839: Part annexed to Orleans.
26 April 1847: Part annexed to Wellfeet.
23 March 1867: Bounds between Eastham and Orleans established and part of each town annexed to the other town.
6 May 1887: Bounds beteen tidewaters of Eastham and Wellfleet established.
Bridge Road Burying Ground (1754)
Congregational and Soldiers Cemetery (1813)
Evergreen Cemetery (1806)
Old Cove Cemetery (1660)
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums