Edderton, Ross and Cromarty, ScotlandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Edderton # 63
This parish derives its name from its situation, being surrounded on all sides except the north hills, and those round towers called Dunes or Burghs. The Celtic name is Eadar Duin, which signifies between hills or dunes. It is bounded on the east and south by the parishes of Tain, Logie-Easter, Kilmuir-Easter, and Rosskeen; on the west, by the parish of Kincardine; and the Dornock Firth washes it coast on the north.
There is no market-town or village in the parish. There is a good harbor at Ardmore, capable of accommodating vessels of 150 tons, considerable number of schooners and smacks, and sometimes a brig, arrive with cargoes of coal and lime.
The first historical notice of Edderton occurs in the twelfth century; when King William the Lion (who reigned over Scotland from 1165 to 1214,) built a castle at Etherdover, Edirdona, or Edirton, as a curb upon the turbulent inhabitants of Easter Ross. The next of importance in the history of this parish is the founding of the Monastery or Abbey of Fearn, which took place in the thirteenth century.
Amongst the eminent characters of this parish, is Mr. John Sutherland, a son of Arthur Sutherland, Episcopal incumbent or curate of Edderton, from 1679 to 1708; and at the period of his father’s death (8 April 1708) was very young.
Another person of interest is Alexander Ross Oag, (or Young, a very common patronymic when the father and son were of the same name;) an aged Christian and a man of indigent circumstances, without the advantage of education, but of such uncommon natural talents, combined with fervent piety and Christian simplicity, that numerous anecdotes well authenticated, are still related throughout the northern counties.
Sir Charles William Augustus Ross of Balnagown, Bart; His Grace George Granville Sutherland, Duke of Sutherland, K.G; and Robert Bruce Eneas Macleod, Esq. of Cadboll, are the land-owners in this parish.
The register of births, baptisms, and marriages, commences 25th July 1799, and has been regularly kept since that period. Previous to this time, nothing was kept. The session records only began to be kept by the late incumbent; for first entry being dated 26th September 1821. They consist of minutes of the proceedings of the kirk-session, and poor’s fund. There is no register of deaths that have been kept.
The parish church is situated about a mile and a half from the eastern extremity of the parish, and eight from the western extremity towards Kincardine. It is exactly a mile from the manse, and is very inconveniently situated for the inhabitants on account of the distance the greater part of them have to come. The church seats are all free, and have never been divided by the heritors of the parish. They accommodate from 400 to 500 persons.
This account was written November 1840.
Source: New Statistical Account of Scotland, FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2, vol. 14.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computers at the Family History Library and family history centers. The records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: There are only 5 entries, 1799 and 1802, prior to 1809, from which date the register is regularly kept.
Marriages: Marriages are recorded among the baptisms for the same period.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
Other post-1855 records
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/1411.
Nonconformist Church Records
Edderton Free Church
The minister of the parish, and his congregation "came out" at the Disruption. A new church had been built by the heritors in 1842, and they handed over the old building to the Free Church, which was repaired in 1851. It is one of the oldest churches in the north of Scotland having been built in 1743. The population seriously decreased over time.
Membership: 1855, 400; 1900, 34.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source, including ministers.
Records— The extent of records is unknown.