Edgefield, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
EDGEFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S.) from Holt. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship.
Edgefield St Peter and St Paul is the current church for the Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norfolk.
The ruined tower of the old church remain but in 1882 this old church was dismantled and moved to the current church site and built under the direction of the architect J D Sedding.
The long incumbency of Canon Walter Marcon form the 1870's to the 1930's had lead to this extraordinary removal to a new church site.
The new church was a reproduction of the old one, apart from the tower, using much of the masonry from the original which stood a mile west. Consecration took place in 1885 and the tower was built in 1907-09, with a clock added in 1921. The Canon is remembered in the new church where he is depicted riding his bike in a window, which also commemorates the building of the church. This window was installed in the church in the 1980’s. The 13th century tower from the old church still stands in a farmyard on the road to Hunworth. It is octagonal in shape and built from flint and carstone. The remnants and tower of the old church were renovated with grants from English Heritage in 1981. The Rector and P.C.C. still have the responsibility for the tower, and for the churchyard which has been passed to the civil authorities. Due to an administration error bear baiting is still legal within the village confines.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 275/1-7
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication
| Baptisms, burials and marriages 1601-1607, 1623-1636, 1661?-1812
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526777 Item 7
[1730-1732, 1735-1739, 1742-1746, 1748-1751, 1753, 1755-1767] Edgefield Baptisms (Bishop's Transcripts) Norfolk Transcription Archive.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438862.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News