Edinburgh Nonconformist Church RecordsEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 16:20, 1 October 2010 by BakerBH (Talk | contribs)

Contents

United Presbyterian Church Congregations

Arthur Street Relief Church

History—
This congregation originated in a division of the Relief congregation of Cowgate over the control of church funds. In May 1825 a petition was presented to the Relief Presbytery of Edinburgh signed by 552 persons, formerly members and sitters in Cowgate Chapel, craving to be disjoined and formed into a separate congregation, which was granted. They erected a church on Brighton Street, but this they eventually had to abandon for financial reasons. In February 1835 they purchased a place of worship on Arthur Street which had previously belonged to the Baptists. It became United Presbyterian at the union in 1847.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1834–1953
Baptisms 1849–1859
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/432.

Bristo Street Congregation

History—
This church originated in the unhappy settlement of a new minister to one of the charges of the West Church, Edinburgh in 1732. Several of the parishioners withdrew from the Established Church and joined with other Seceders in Edinburgh to form societies for prayer which often met together as a general association. This association decided to apply to the Associate Presbytery, and in 1738 they were finally supplied with occasional sermon. A church was built in 1741 at Bristo Street. A second church was built in 1802. The communion roll of 1744 showed a congregation membership of 1279. The majority of the congregation, along with the minister, adhered to the General Associate Anti-burgher Synod at the Breach in 1747. The trustees of the church building, along with nine elders and a large minority of the congregation, adhered to the Associate Burgher Synod. This resulted in a dispute as to who should retain the church building. Initially the courts found in favor of the majority in 1751, but in 1752 the decision was reversed. The issue continued in the courts until 1753 when it was confirmed in favor of the minority and they again took possession of the church. The majority then built a separate church for themselves. (See Nicolson Street) In 1785, 160 members of the congregation were disjoined by the Synod and formed into a separate congregation by the Presbytery of Edinburgh. (See Broughton Place history)
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Film Number
Baptisms 1772–1773 0304671 item 31
Baptisms 1773–1783 0304672 item 1 X
Baptisms 1837–1860 0304672 item 1 X
Note: The X means records have been extracted.

Broughton Place Associate Congregation

History—
This congregation originated in a division of the Associate Congregation of Edinburgh at Bristo Street. In February 1785, 160 members of the congregation were disjoined by the Synod and formed into a separate congregation by the Presbytery of Edinburgh. They built a church on Rose Street that opened for worship in 1786. It was originally called the New Edinburgh congregation to distinguish it from the Second Associate Congregation in the city. The accommodations at Rose Street were becoming too small for the growing congregation, and they decided to build at a new site. When the new church eventually opened for worship in Broughton Place in May 1821, and the majority of the congregation moved into it, arrangements were made for an additional supply of sermon at the Rose Street Church (see that history).
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.

Canongate United Presbyterian Church 

History—
Mission work had been conducted by the Broughton Place congregation in the Canongate since 1830. A church was built and opened in November 1869 and the members applied to the Presbytery in February 1871 to be received as a congregation, and they were regularly congregated in March 1871 with 113 members.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.

College Street South Relief Church

History—
When in 1764 the settlement of an objectionable minister to the parish church occurred, a number of parishioners withdrew from the Established Church and eventually applied to the Relief Synod for supply of sermon. A church was built and opened for worship in 1766. It was rebuilt in1797 and again in 1857.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1765–1785, 1790–1961
Baptismal Register 1766–1783
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/433.

Cowgate, later Bread Street Relief Presbyterian Church

History—
In 1818 a number of individuals who had purchased the English Chapel in the Cowgate applied for the sanction of the Edinburgh Presbytery that it might be erected into a Chapel of Ease connected with the Church of Scotland, but were refused. They then applied to the Relief Presbytery of Edinburgh as a forming congregation and were received. The congregation split in 1825 over the question of the control of church funds (see also Arthur Street history). The group remaining abandoned the chapel in the Cowgate for financial reasons in 1831 and built a church on Bread Street. They sold the Cowgate property to a Secession congregation then forming, called the Infirmary Street Church (see that history).
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Film Number
Baptismal Register 1829–1874 . 1484433 items 4–7
There is a duplicate of 1829–1860 0304671 item 2
Session Minutes 1831–1854 1484433 items 4–7
Managers’ Minutes 1838–1853 . 1484433 items 4–7

Davie Street Original Secession Church

History—
This congregation was founded about 1825, possibly as a congregation of the Constitutional Presbytery, and joined the Original Secession Synod when it was founded in 1827. It then joined the Free Church in 1852. (See McCrie-Roxburgh Free Church.)
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records— FHL Film Number
Baptisms 1825–1856 0889474

Other:
Various Minutes 1808–1885
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/496.

Dean Street United (See Queen Street)

Infirmary Street United Associate Church

History—
This congregation formed from a portion of the Bristo Street congregation who were dissatisfied with the calling of an associate minister in 1828. They disjoined themselves and formed a separate Original Seceders congregation. They purchased the Cowgate chapel which had been abandoned by the Relief congregation there. It was sold to the Roman Catholics in 1856 and a church was purchased on Infirmary Street.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1828–1958
Baptismal Register 1838–1855
Marriage Register 1844–1855
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1014.

Lothian Road United Associate Congregation

History—
This congregation originated in 1827 with a number of persons belonging to different Secession congregations. They first rented a place of worship in Gardner’s Crescent. They then erected a place of worship on Lothian Road about 1830.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Film Number
Baptismal Register 1831–1875 0889481 item 1
Other:
Session Minutes 1827–1976
Cash Book 1829–1903
Communion Rolls 1850–1866
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/417.

Nicolson Street General Associate, later United Secession Presbyterian Church

History—
This congregation originated with the majority of the Bristo Street congregation who adhered to the General Associate Anti-burgher Synod at the Breach in 1747. (See the Bristo Street history.) When they lost their right to the Bristo Street building, even though they were the majority, they worshiped for a while in the open air then in rented accommodations before purchasing land to build a church, which was built on Nicolson Street in 1754. A new church was built in 1819.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Baptisms 1831–1856
List of Members 1831
Various Minutes 1833–1837, 1843–1960
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/617.

Portsburgh and Lauriston Place United Presbyterian Church 

History—
This congregation originated with a party from the Nicolson Street congregation who withdrew from the General Associate Anti-burgher Synod because of a dispute over the form of administration of the bread as part of the Lord’s Supper. They eventually joined the Relief Synod. In 1792, when without a minister, they applied to the Associate Burgher Presbytery of Edinburgh to be taken under their inspection and were received. A church was built in Vennel, Portsburgh in 1792, and rebuilt in 1828. A new church was built in Lauriston Place in 1859. The church at Portsburgh was retained as a mission church, and then was formed into a separate congregation 1860.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1796–1958
Annual Reports 1835–1928
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1152.

Potterow, later Hope Park United Presbyterian Church 

History—
This congregation originated with a part of the Nicolson Street congregation, during the vacancy following the death of the first minister in 1788, who wanted to obtain a certain new minister. Because the remaining members would not consent, they separated from them and, with the consent of the Presbytery, formed a congregation in Potterow in 1792. Their church was built in 1796. In 1805 the minister and the majority of his congregation withdrew from the General Associate Synod and joined the newly–formed Constitutional Presbytery, which afterwards merged into the Associate Synod of Original Seceders. The majority retained possession of the property but the minority took the issue to court. The court eventually found in favor of the minority and the majority was deprived of a place of worship, but they were compensated by the minority with a sum of money deemed equivalent to their interest in the property. They then built a new church on West Richmond Street and removed to it with their minister in 1813. Old Potterow church was sold in 1866 and a new church opened in Hope Park in 1867.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Film Number
Births and Baptisms 1790–1857 . 1484435 items 4–5
There is a duplicate of the above record 0889474 item 6
Congregational Minutes 1792–1851 1484435 item 7
Minutes 1801–1824, with Baptisms 1806–1810 1484435 item 6
Session Minutes 1825–1838 1484435 item 2
There is a duplicate of the above record 0889474 item 5
Session Minutes 1851–1865 1484435 item 3
There is a duplicate of the above record 0889474 item 5
Note: Available at National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/115, 117.

Queen Street or St. Bernard’s and Dean Street United 

History—
This congregation, at first called St. Bernard’s, originated with certain Seceders and others who were desirous of having a place of worship in connection with the United Associate Synod in the district of Stockbridge. In 1829, they purchased a church in Dean Street which had been built, but not completely finished, by a Relief Church congregation who put it up for sale. In 1861, the majority of the congregation removed with their minister to the Queen Street hall. Three elders and ninety nine members of the congregation remained at the Dean Street church and formed a new congregation, which was supplied with sermon by the Presbytery of Edinburgh.

Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1829–1929
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/389.

Rose Street United Presbyterian Church

History—
When the proposal was made to build a church at Broughton Place (see that history), a certain number of members felt that the site was too distant and the design for the new church too expensive. When the new church opened for worship in May 1821 and the majority of the congregation moved into it, arrangements were made for an additional supply of sermon at the Rose Street Church, and in December 1821 the Presbytery disjoined 350 members and constituted them as the congregation of Rose Street. The Rose Street church was rebuilt in 1830. In 1872, the Rose Street church was sold and a new church was built in Palmerston Place.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1822–1970
Baptismal Register 1854–1928
Communion Roll 1824–1887
Poor Fund Accounts 1833–1850
Printed Missionary Society Reports 1832–1874
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/950.

St. James Place Relief Church

History—
This congregation originated in the overflowing attendance at the College Street Church in 1796. The parties forming it built a place of worship in West Port which they soon found too small and inconvenient. They sold it to a congregation in connection with the Reformed Presbytery who afterwards rebuilt it. They erected another church in St. James place and removed to it in December 1800.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in source.

Records—
Various Minutes 1796–1956
Baptismal Register 1792–1827, 1833–1921
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/722 and CH3/721.

Other United Presbyterian Churches

Other pre–1855 congregations, for which extent of records is unknown, include:
• Roxburgh Place, formed in 1808 and given “quoad sacra” status in 1833.
• Bethel Relief Church was formed prior to 1831 and merged with the Arthur Street congregation in 1842. (See Arthur Street congregation.)
• North Richmond Street Church was formed in 1844 by those who withdrew from the Bread Street Church. They united with the Henderson Church in 1867.
• The Newington Church was formed in 1848.

Free Presbyterian Congregations

Cowgate Free Church

History—
After the Disruption, Lady Effingham supported a mission in the Cowgate district. About 1852 the Free New North congregation assumed responsibility for this work. The congregation grew and the charge was sanctioned in 1859. A church was soon built.
Membership: 1860, 177; 1900, 842.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
No pre–1855 records.

Dean Free Church

History—
At the Disruption in 1843, the minister of the quoad sacra parish of the Dean, along with practically the whole of his congregation, adhered to the Free Church. They were expelled from their church and built another in Lynedoch Place in 1844. When the St. Andrew’s Free Church transferred to a site in close proximity, it was found necessary to move. A new church was built at Belford Bridge and opened in 1889.
Membership: 1880, 249; 1900, 330.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Film Number
Baptisms 1845–1900 0889486 item 2

High Free Church

History—
At the Disruption both ministers of the High Kirk adhered to the Free Church. For some time the congregation worshipped in the Music Hall, on George Street. As part of the general plan of the new college buildings a church was erected at the head of the Mound and opened in 1850. Mission premises were secured in the Lawnmarket. The district which was mainly residential rapidly changed with hotels, offices, warehouses, etc., taking the places of the old dwellings.
Membership: 1848, 778; 1900, 415.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1914
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/967.

Holyrood Free Church

History—
This congregation was started as a mission in 1846 through the liberality of the Duchess of Gordon, under supervision of the minister and session of Free St. Luke’s. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1849. The church at the foot of the Canongate, was built and opened in 1850 and a manse was erected at St. John’s Hill. Later the manse was sold and a new manse purchased at 23 Spring Gardens.
Membership: 1859, 318; 1900, 463.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1849–1910
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/961.

Lady Glenorchy’s Free Church

History—
In 1843, the minister of Lady Glenorchy’s parish and the entire congregation, except two persons, joined the Free Church. The intention of Lady Glenorchy who built the church in 1774 was that it should be in communion with but independent of the Church of Scotland, without a parish or legal endowment. In 1819 the original constitution having been altered by Act of Parliament, the parish was assigned to Lady Glenorchy’s Chapel under the Chapels Act, 1834. The trustees believed that by the repeal of the Chapel’s Act the chapel reverted to its independent position and continued the congregation in possession. In 1844 an action by the Presbytery of Edinburgh was decided in its favor, against the trustees, and the congregation was ejected in November 1844. They worshiped in the hall of the High School until the church built in Greenside Place was opened in May 1846. A week day school founded by Lady Glenorchy was carried on by the congregation until 1897.
Membership: 1846, 750; 1900, 704.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records— FHL Call Number
Baptisms 1843–1856 941.445/E1 K2lgf
Other:
Various Minutes 1843–1956
Communion Roll 1849–1853
Accounts 1854–1925
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/723.

McCrie, Roxburgh Free Church

History—
The Davie Street Original Secession Church united with the Free Church in 1852, and in 1858 it took the name of McCrie Church. It was reduced to a mission station in August 1885. In 1886 the congregation united with that of Roxburgh Church. The united congregation took rank as a sanctioned charge under the designation of McCrie-Roxburgh. The Roxburgh church building was sold and the united congregation worshiped in the McCrie church.
Membership: 1855, 288; 1885, 182; 1886, 294; 1900, 425.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
See the Davie Street Original Secession Church.

Morningside Free Church

History—
Thomas Addis, minister of Morningside parish, with many of his people “came out” in 1843. For a few Sabbaths they worshipped in the house of Dr. Chalmers, Churchhill, filling rooms and lobbies while the minister preached from the staircase. During the summer they met in a tent erected in a neighboring field. In winter they obtained the use of a schoolroom which before had been refused. They new church was opened in January 1844. Thirty years later it was enlarged and remodeled.
Membership: 1848, 220; 1900, 676.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1900
Note: Available at National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/421.

New College Free Church

History—
Unavailable

Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1925
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/885.

New North Free Church

History—
The minister of New North Church adhered to the Free Church in 1843. They worshiped in various shared churches until their own church on Forest Road was opened in 1848. The congregation fostered the work in the Cowgate until it reached the status of a sanctioned charge.
Membership: 1848, 650; 1900, 562.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1941
Baptismal Register 1853–1939
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/468.

Newington South United Free Church

History—
When the minister of Liberton adhered to the Free Church in 1843, a site could not be secured for a new church in Liberton. With the support of four elders from Liberton and four from Newington quoad sacra parish, whose minister did not “come out”, a new congregation of Newington Free church was formed. A church was built in South Clerk Street the same year.
Membership: 1850, 608; 1900, 460.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records— FHL Film Number
Scroll Minutes 1848–1854 1484435 item 1
Session Minutes 1855–1856 1484435 item 1

Roxburgh Free Church (See map following, section SE – 3; location unknown)

History—
Alexander Gregory, minister of Roxburgh parish with many of his congregation “came out” at the Disruption. They were joined the same year by the Relief congregation from Roxburgh Terrace Church. Having to vacate their former premises they worshiped for a time in Lancastrian School, Davis Street. A new church was built in Hill Square (at Hill Place) and opened in 1847. In 1886 the congregations of Roxburgh and McCrie churches were united as the McCrie-Roxburgh Church. (See that history.
Membership: 1848, 258; 1886; 280.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1920
Accounts 1843–1853
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1194.

St. Bernard’s Free Church (See map following, section NW – 2)
History—
The minister of the chapel-of-ease in West Claremont Street, with the majority of the elders and people “came out” in 1843 and formed St. Bernard’s Free Church congregation. Until the church in Silvermills was ready for occupation they worshiped in Tanfield Hall. Sunday schools were opened in five of the adjoining streets. A primary school was held in a building erected on ground adjoining the church. The school was discontinued in 1874, the buildings being used as church halls. The brick church of 1843 was replaced by a new church built on the same site opened in 1856.
Membership: 1848, 750; 1900, 568.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1889
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/388.

St. Columba’s Free Church (See map following, section SW – 2)
History—
At the Disruption, the minister of the Gaelic chapel of ease, together with every member and adherent of his congregation, joined the Free Church. They were not required to leave the church until December 1843. They then worshiped in the High School until February 1845 when they moved to the brick building in Lothian Road, vacated by Free St. George’s. A new church on Cambridge Street was built and opened for service in 1851. In 1864 the name St. Columba’s was adopted. Many coming from the Highlands turned naturally to St. Columba’s as their ecclesiastical home.
Membership: 1848, 416; 1900, 468.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1948
Baptismal Register 1851–1855
Communion Roll 1849, 1851, 1853–1901
Rolls of Heads of Families 1836–1852
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/709.

St. David’s United Free Church (See map following, section SW – 3)
History—
The minister of St. David’s, with the majority of his congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The church in Morrison Street was built in 1844 and rebuilt in 1859. The district, originally suburban, greatly changed in character, and the church became a center of aggressive Home Mission work.
Membership: 1848, 285; 1900, 612.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records— FHL Film Number
Session Minutes 1843–1845 1484433 item 8

St. George’s Free Church ( See map following, section SW – 2)
History—
Dr. Robert S. Candish, minister of the parish of St. George’s had taken a prominent part in the non intrusion controversy and along with many of his congregation adhered to the Free Church in 1843. As a place of worship they rented for a time a brick building in Lothian Road. A new church on a site nearly opposite the entrance to the West Kirk was opened in 1845. This building was bought up in 1866 by the Caledonian Railway Company whose station covered the site. A new church was erected in Shandwick Place and opened in 1869.
Membership: 1848, 918; 1900, 1231.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1911
General Sustentation Find Accounts 1843–1854
Baptismal Register 1845–1854
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/965.

St. Luke’s, later Queen Street Free Church (See map following, section NW – 4)
History—
Alexander Moody (afterwards Dr. Alexander Moody Stuart), minister of St. Luke’s parish, with his congregation, “came out” in 1843. On a prominent site on Queen Street a new church was built and opened in 1852. In 1891 the congregation united with that of the Tolbooth, the United Congregation worshiping in St. Luke’s building under the name of Queen Street. (See also the history of the Tolbooth church.)
Membership: 1848, 578; 1890, 367; 1893, 531; 1900, 623.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1837–1955
Baptismal Register 1843–1947
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/781&782.

St. Mary’s Free Church (See map following, section NE – 3)
History—
At the Disruption Dr. Henry Grey, minister of St. Mary’s and a large portion of his congregation adhered to the Free Church. A new church was built in Barony Street. In 1862, the congregation moved to the building which had been erected on Albany Street. A member gifted a house to Albany Street for a manse. In 1874 this was sold and a manse purchased in Bellevue Crescent. The district was originally residential. The population drifted largely to the west and south and the church became surrounded by offices, warehouses, loading houses, etc.
Membership: 1848, 330; 1900, 825.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1939
Communion Record 1843–1936
List of Office Bearers 1843–1928
Accounts 1843–1861
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/721.

St. Paul’s Free Church (Off of the map to the south)
History—
This church, built mainly at the expense of Miss Agnes Hunter, Glencorse, was so held that it remained the property of the congregation when, with their minister, they joined the Free Church at the Disruption. Social conditions greatly altered in the district through drifting of the population to the suburbs.
Membership: 1848, 500; 1900, 537.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1932
Communion Roll 1845–1851
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/455.

St. Stephen’s Free Church (See map following, section NW – 4)
History—
The minister of the parish had warmly espoused the Non–Intrusion cause, but shrinking from the sacrifice involved did not “come out” in 1843. The adherents of the Free Church in the parish secured a temporary place of worship in Station House, Wemyss Place. In 1846 the property was purchased and adapted for congregational use. Mission work was conducted in Jamaica Street.
Membership: 1848, 491; 1900, 423.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Cash Book 1846–1851, 1862– 1881
Baptisms of Dudhope Free Church 1853–1859.
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/570.

Tolbooth Free Church (See map following, section N E –3; location unknown)
History—
The minister of the Tolbooth Church, William King Tweedie, and many of his congregation “came out” in 1843. They bought the Original Secession Church on Infirmary Street and were in occupation by the month of July. The situation, however, was inconvenient and in 1851 the building was sold. The congregation worshiped in the Music Hall until the new church in St. Andrew Square was erected. At the union in 1891 of the congregation with that of St. Luke’s, this church also was sold. (See St. Luke’s Queen Street history)
Membership: 1848, 975; 1890, 267.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1891
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/120.



Tron, later Craigmillar Park Free Church (See map following, section SE – 1)
History—
The members who formed this congregation worshiped for a time after the Disruption in hired halls, being known as the Henderson Church. In 1848 a building on High Street was bought and adapted to church purposes and the congregation adopted the name of the Free Tron. Here they were joined by a small congregation which met in Leith Wynd, and by the remnant of a Relief Congregation which met in Roxburgh Terrace. In 1875 the High Street building was sold and a large church was erected on Chambers Street. In 1890 the congregation moved further to the south, having built a new church, and became known as Craigmillar Park Free Church.
Membership: 1849, 300; 1881, 290; 1898, 175; 1900, 235.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Various Minutes 1801–1848
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/428.

West Port Free Church (See map following, section SW – 4)
History—
This congregation owed its origin to Dr. Chalmers. In 1844 he began work in the West Port. It was estimated that in a population of 2000 about 1500 were utterly without religion. He organized a system of district visitation and opened a school in the loft of a disused tannery where also Sabbath services were held. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1847 when the West Port Church was opened. In 1884 the large church at the entrance of the West Port was erected, the old church being retained as a mission hall.
Membership: 1848, 313; 1900, 1488.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. FHL Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including ministers.
Records—
Minutes 1844–1957
Baptismal Register 1845–1878
Communion Roll 1847–1876
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1153.

Other Free Churches
Other pre–1855 Free Churches, for which the extent of records is unknown, include:
• Buccleuch and Greyfriars’ (Old and New) both formed in 1843, they united in 1897. (See map following Section SE – 3)
• Fountainbridge begun in 1848 as a mission; it was sanctioned in 1853. (See map following Section SW – 4)
• Knox’s formed in 1843; it was first called the Leith Wynd Chapel. (location unknown)
• Pilrig as formed in 1843. (See map following Section NE – 3)
• Pleasance was formed in 1852 as a mission and sanctioned in 1859. (See map following, Section SE – 1)
• St. Andrew’s was formed in 1843 and served as a start for several mission churches. (location unknown)
• St. Cuthbert’s was formed in 1843 (location unknown)
• St. John’s was formed in 1843; it became a center of Home Mission work. It united with Cowgate head in 1893. (location unknown)

Reformed Presbyterian Church
Martyr’s Reformed Church, later Free Church (location unknown)
History—
There were Cameronions in the area of Pentland, Midlothian, as early as 1680, but there were no congregations. Several separate congregations were formed in Scotland in the late 1770s. A congregation in Pentland was supported largely by members from Edinburgh. The Pentland church was officially sanctioned in 1787. The congregation was moved to Loanhead in 1792. A congregation in Edinburgh was finally disjoined from Loanhead in 1818. A church had been purchased from the Relief congregation in 1808 and a new church was later built in 1861. In 1875 membership was 300 and in the 1876 this and most Reformed Church congregations, united with the Free Church.
Source: The Reformed Presbyterian Church in Scotland: its congregations, ministers, and students, by W. J. Couper, pub. 1925. FHL book 941 K2c.
Records—
Baptismal and Marriage Registers 1805–1896
Deaths 1805–1846
Congregational List 1805–1890
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/1198.
Other:
Roll of Members 1804–1911
Various Minutes 1805–1974
Cash Book 1804–1870
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH13/1.

Congregational and Evangelical Union Churches
Circus or Tabernacle Leith Walk (Off of the map to the northeast)
History—
A place called the Circus, which had originally been built as a variety theater and which had been used for a time by the Relief Church, was acquired in 1798. James Haldane was ordained as the first minister in February 1799 and the membership stood at 272 with another 38 receiving occasional communion. It was converted for use as a Tabernacle. Its success led to the Haldane brothers opening other Tabernacles in Glasgow, Dundee, Perth, Elgin, and Caithness. Though nondenominational evangelism was their original purpose, the Haldanes and the Tabernacle memberships came to adopt Congregationalism as their denomination. The Edinburgh congregation moved to the newly built Tabernacle, Leith Walk, in 1801. This congregation became Baptist in 1808.
Source: See below.

Augustine Church, formerly The North College Street or Argyle Square Church (See map following, section SE – 1)
History—
The attendance at the Tabernacle had grown so large that a second congregation was constituted in 1802. The church was built in North College Street but after 1840 was known as the Argyle Square Chapel after the square to the west of the church. This congregation moved to a new church in 1861 and became known as the Augustine Church. This church became known for the high quality of intellect and culture that characterized its minister and congregation. The congregation also later became known for its Sunday school, with 250 children and nearly 50 teachers and for its missionary work among the poorer people. A separate mission church in Gilmour Street was opened in 1878 and lasted until 1939. This church today is called Augustine United.
Source: See below.

Albany Street Church (See map following, section NE – 3)
History—
This church was formed by members of the Tabernacle who adhered to Congregational views when James Haldane adopted Baptist opinions in 1808. A church was built in Albany Street in 1816. The church closed in 1954.
Source: See below.

St. Mary’s Church

History—
This congregation was short–lived, 1808–1814. No known records exist.

Richmond Place Church, later Hope Park or Henry Wight Memorial

(See map following, section SE – 1)
History—
This church was formed in 1832 by followers of the preaching of Henry Wight, the first minister. In 1837 it was accepted into the Congregational Union of Scotland and they met in the Richmond Court Chapel. The Richmond Place building was erected in 1843. The Hope Park or Memorial church was built in 1876 and united with Augustine Church in 1979.
Source: See below.

Brighton Street, later Bristo Place Evangelical Union Church (See map following, section SE – 3)

History—
This church was formed in 1845 with 75 members who were followers of John Kirk, Congregational minister, who had adopted the principles of the Evangelical Union. Brighton Street chapel was purchased from the Relief church in 1846. Membership in 1850 stood at 667. Kirk was a great inspirer of preachers, and no less than 23 men from his church became Evangelical Union ministers during his 31 year ministry. A new church was erected in Bristo Place in 1900. They united with the Augustine church in 1941.
Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott, pub. 1960. FHL book 941 K2es also, The Scottish Congregational Ministry 1794–1993, by William D. McNaughton, pub. 1993 FHL book 941 K2mwd
Records—
Brighton Street Evangelical Union Church:
Minutes of Church Meetings, 1845–1899
Associate Preachers’ Society Minutes, 1847–1850
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH14/5.


The extent of records for any of the other churches is unknown. Contact the following for more information:
The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office
PO Box 189
240 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BX
Scotland

Baptist Churches
Bristo Place Church (See map following, section SE – 3)
History—
A church was formed in Edinburgh in late 1765. People came from Glasgow, Dundee, Montrose, and other towns to be baptized and became members of the Edinburgh church. A building was erected in Richmond Court in 1787. It was exchanged in 1802 for St. Cecilia’s Hall in the Niddry Wynd on account of the growth of the church. That was sold in 1809 and a new chapel built in the Pleasance in 1811. The Bristo Place church was built in 1836. A division arose in the church in 1834 and a minority withdrew and formed the Minto House Church in Argyle Square. That group dissolved in 1875 and most members rejoined the Bristo Place congregation.
Source: See below.

Charlotte Chapel (See map following, section SW – 2)

History—
This congregation was formed in 1808. They met at first in the Richmond Court Chapel then they bought the Charlotte Chapel, Rose Street, in 1818. This congregation has continued to grow through the years. Membership stood at 305 in 1880, and though it dropped after a while, it was rebuilt and stood at 830 in 1914.
Source: See below.

Dublin Street (See map following, section NE – 3)

History—
This congregation had its beginning in 1809 as a Congregational church formed when the Haldane brothers changed from Congregational to Baptist views. Those of the Tabernacle, Leith Walk, who did not agree with the Haldanes, formed this congregation with a new minister. However, a year later he too changed his views to the Baptist and a small portion of his congregation joined with him to form a Baptist church which met at Laing’s Academy, East Thistle Street and later in a church on Elder Street. Membership grew from 150 in 1841 to 286 in 1846. The church in Dublin Street was built in 1858.
Source: See below.

Duncan Street (Off the map to the southeast )

History—
This congregation began with the Congregational church at the Tabernacle, Leith Walk. When James Haldane changed from Congregational to Baptist views in 1808, the majority of his congregation eventually joined him in the change. He continued to serve the Tabernacle congregation until his death in 1851. In 1864 the congregation removed to the Duncan Street church when it was determined the Tabernacle no longer met their needs.
Source: See below.

Argyle Square, Minto House Church (See map following, section SE – 1)

History—
Formed in 1834 when the Bristo Place congregation split over the question of the manner of observing the Lord’s Supper. The minority withdrew and formed a congregation meeting at the Minto House Church in Argyle Square. They reunited with the Bristo Place congregation in 1874.
Source: See below.

Marshall Street (location in 1855 unknown)

History—
This congregation was formed in 1846 and met in several different locations until 1856 when they acquired the Richmond Court Chapel. They remained there until the church in Marshall Street was built in 1877.
Source: The source for all churches: History of the Baptists in Scotland from pre–reformation times, by George Yuille, pub. 1926. FHL book 941 K2hi.
Records—
Extent of records of all congregations is unknown but they do not include infant baptisms. For information write to:
The Baptist Union of Scotland
12 Aytoun Road
Glasgow G41 5RT
Scotland

Episcopalian Churches
Total membership of the Episcopalian churches in the mid-1840s was 3327.
In the following list of churches, whenever the extent of records is unknown, for more information write to:
Diocesan Centre
21A Grosvenor Crescent
Edinburgh EH12 5EL, Scotland

Old St. Paul’s (See map following, section SE – 1)

History—
A history is unavailable.
The original old church was formed in 1688. A church in Carruber’s Close was built in 1746. A larger church was built by subscription in the Cowgate in 1771, and the congregation at that time amounted to 1000 by some estimations. St. Paul’s, Carruber’s Close, was retained and later a small group met there.

Records— FHL Call Number
Christenings 1735–1765 941 B2sa vols. 5 and 6
Marriages 1736–1763 941.B2sa vols. 5 and 6
Other:
Christenings 1803–1854
Marriages 1803–1817
Burials 1824–1854
Note: Records are available by writing to:
Old Saint Paul's Church39 Jeffrey Street
Edinburgh EH1 1DH
Scotland

New St. Paul’s (See map following, section NE – 3)

History—
A History is unavailable. The church was dedicated in 1817 in York Place.
Records—
Baptisms 1842–1946
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH12/5/19.
Other:
Christenings 1712–1854
Marriages 1753–1854
Burials 1838–1854
Note: More information may be available by writing to the church at:
21 Barony Street
Edinburgh EH3 6PD
Scotland

St. Columba’s (See map following, section SW – 2)

History—
This church was founded in 1843. The church was built on Castle Hill and dedicated in 1848.
Records—
Various Minutes 1843–1864
Baptisms 1847–1894
Marriages 1846–1894
Confirmations Register 1842–1871
Subscription Accounts for Building the Church 1843–1853
Cash Book 1843–1845
Seat Rent Accounts 1846–1849
School Accounts 1848–1852
Vestry Accounts 1847–1851
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH12/5.

St. George’s (See map following, section NE – 3)

History—
Not available. The church was built in York Place and dedicated in 1792.


Records—
Extent of records is unknown.

==== St. James (See map following, section NE – 3)
History—
The church was built in 1820 at the west end of Broughton Place.

Records—
Christenings 1820–1854
Note: Records may be available from the minister at:
71 Restalrig Road
Edinburgh EH6 8BG
Scotland

St. John The Evangelist’s, formerly Charlotte Chapel (See map, SW – 2)

History—
Not available. The church was dedicated in 1818 at the west end of Princes Street.

Records—
Baptisms 1797–1920
Marriages 1813–1934
Burials 1813–1851
Various Minutes 1814–1957
Accounts 1815–1857
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH12/3.

St. Patrick’s Church – see under Roman Catholic churches
St. Peter’s Chapel (See map following, section SE – 1)

History—
Not available. The church was located in Roxburgh Place, later Lutton Place.

Records—
Christenings 1807–1829, 1847–1854
Marriages 1807–1828
Burials 1807–1817
Note: Records may be available by writing to the church at:
3 Bright’s Crescent
Edinburgh EH9 2DB
Scotland

Leith Wynd Chapel (See map following, section SE – 1; location unknown)

History—
Not available

Records—
Marriages 1814–1817
Note: Record may be available by writing to:
Central Reference Library
George IV Bridge
Edinburgh EH1 1EG
Scotland


Trinity Chapel, Dean (See map following, section NW – 3)

History—
Not available. The church was erected in 1839.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.

Roman Catholic Churches
In 1835, there was an estimate of 12,000 to 14,000 Catholics in and about Edinburgh, with about 2750 attending services in Edinburgh.

St. Mary’s and earlier churches (See map following, section NE – 3)

History—
Before 1814, there were two chapels in Blackfriars Wynd, one for Gaelic speaking Highlanders and one for English speakers. St. Mary’s church in Broughton Street was dedicated in 1814. In 1830 the mission stretched as far as Campsie, Falkirk, Haddington, and Dunfermline.
Source: Catholic Missions and Registers, 1700–1800, by Michael Gandy, pub. 1993. FHL book Ref. 942 K24gm, vol. 6.

Records— FHL Call Number
Mixed Birth, Marriages, Deaths 1777–1815 Film #0412600
A few entries for people living in Fife Book 941.33 B4f, Nos. 22 & 23
Other:
Births 1798–1884
Marriages 1793–1882
Deaths 1800–1811, 1817–1828
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record RH21/74. Later records are in the care of the parish priest.


St. John Portobello


History—
Not available.

Records— FHL Book Number
Baptisms 1844-1854, a few entries for people living in Fife 941.33 B4f, No. 23

St. Patrick’s Church (No building in 1855)

History—
The church was built in 1771 as an Episcopalian church and was dedicated in 1834. It was located in South Gray’s Close in the New Town and reopened as a Catholic church in 1856.

Records—
Births 1849–1865
Marriages 1850–1869
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record RH21/87. Later records are in the hands of the parish priest. Note: Available online for a fee, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk,

Other Churches
Wesleyan Methodist (See map following, section SE – 3)

History—
There was a large chapel, built in 1814, in the corner of Nicolson Square with a school. There was also a chapel on Richmond Street and another on James’ Court. Total membership in the mid-1840s was about 1470.

Records—
Edinburgh Circuit:
Baptisms 1811–1818
List of Members of Society in the Circuit 1806–1841
Communicants Not in the Society 1811–1812
Collections 1825–1841
Schedule Book 1836–1937
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record CH11/1.

Nicolson Square Methodist Church (See map following, section SE – 3)
History—
See above.

Records—
Baptisms 1801–1871
Leaders’ Minutes 1821–1882
Accounts 1814–1831, 1844–1926
Pew Rent Accounts 1816–1889
Sabbath School Attendance Register 1817–1859
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record CH11/2.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (locations unknown)

History—
Edinburgh was the destination of the first LDS missionaries to Scotland in 1839 due to the fact that the parents of one of them lived there. The following year Elder Orson Pratt preached there. By March 1841 there were more than 200 members in the Edinburgh area. By 1855 there was a Conference based in Edinburgh with 14 branches and a total membership of 666. But there began a steady decline in membership throughout Scotland. In 1868 the Dundee Conference merged with Edinburgh, and the following year membership in the Edinburgh vicinity had dropped so low as to require reorganization of the former Edinburgh Conference as a branch of the Glasgow Conference. The reasons for the decline were emigration, excommunication, and apostasy, as was the case throughout Scotland and indeed the whole of the British Isles at the time.
Source: Truth Will Prevail, by V. Ben Bloxham, et. al. FHL book 942 K2tw.

Records— FHL Film Number
Record of Members, early to 1948 0104151 item 1
Conference Records, early to 1868 0104151 item 2

St. Mark’s Unitarian Church, Edinburgh (See map following, section SW – 2)
History—
The society was founded in 1776 and in the beginning was called Universal Dissenters. By the turn of the century they were known as the Edinburgh Unitarian Fund. The Scottish Unitarian Association was formed in 1813. The congregation moved to an old Episcopal Chapel in Carrubber’s Close off High Street, and then in 1816 began to build up a fund to erect a chapel of their own. The Young Street Chapel was opened in 1823, but as attendance grew, another larger place of worship was needed. A new chapel in Castle Terrace was erected and opened in October 1835, and was called St. Mark’s. The church has been known for preaching liberal, social religion. In the mid1840s, membership stood at about 150.
Source: Scottish Unitarian Churches, 1963, by Bruce Findlow, FHL book 941 K2uc. Source includes names of ministers.

Records—
Baptisms 1841–1853
Baptisms, Marriages, and Deaths 1854–1971
Various Minutes 1792–1793, 1798–1800, 1812–1838, 1842–1969
Roll of Members 1822–1850
Seat Rental Accounts 1835–1857
Reports and Accounts 1819–1852
Benevolent Society Minutes 1841–1853
Various Letters, Papers, and Correspondence from 1822–onwards
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record CH15/1.

Society of Friends, Quakers (See map following, section SE – 2)

History—
The society began about 1665. Land for a burial ground in Pleasance was in use by 1680. A house in Westport was purchased in 1681 for a meeting place but it was continually in need of repair. During the 1690s the society suffered persecution from local government authorities. In 1730, another meeting house was purchased in Peebles Wynd off Cowgate. Improvements to the city in 1789 led to its destruction, for which the Friends were compensated. A new meeting house opened in 1791 in Pleasance by the burial ground. It was sold in 1944. The Friends currently meet in Victoria Terrace. Membership in the mid–1840s was 80–100.
Source: The Quaker Meeting Houses of Britain, by David M. Butler and the Friends Historical Society, pub. c.1999 FHL book 942 K24bd, vol. 2.

Records— FHL Call Number
Registers of Births, Marriages, Proposals
of Marriage, and Deaths for Edinburgh and
other places in Scotland 1647–1878 Book 941 V26q, and
Film #0823635
Duplicate of early years, 1647–1728 Film #0441406, item 3

Other:
Births 1670–1786 - with gaps, 1787–1794, 1795–1870
Birth Notes 1828–1959
Marriages 1670–1695, 1786–1793, 1796–1950
Burials 1680–1716, 1788–1793, 1791–1921
Burial Notes 1828–1847, 1857–1961
Monthly Meeting Minutes 1669–1713, 1730–1794
Two Monthly Meeting Minutes 1808–1938
Quarterly Meeting Minutes 1669–1737
Preparative Meeting Minutes 1787–1792, 1804–1890
Two Monthly Meeting of Women Friends Minutes 1791–1822, 1861–1896
Door Keepers’ Book 1796–1812
Accounts 1711–1769
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, record CH10/1.

Other Nonconformist Churches
(In existence by 1846)

Bereans (See map following, section SE – 3; exact location unknown)
This church was in the area of Old Grey Friars and was formed about 1773.
United Christian Church (See map following, section SE; exact location unknown)
This church was in the area of New Grey Friars.

Jews (See map following, section SE – 3; exact location unknown)
A synagogue stood on Richmond Street and was built before the mid–1840s. Membership then consisted of about twenty families.


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).