El Dorado County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
18 February 1850: El Dorado County was created ;as an original county. County seat: Placerville 
PLACERVILLE, CAL., FIRE.
Placerville, Cal., May 16. -- Fire which broke out in a barn in the center of town last night, destroyed the courthouse, and several business houses, entailing a loss of about $100,000.
The Ogden Standard Utah 1910-05-16
Archives and and Libraries
Church History and Records
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
- Johnson's Cutoff 1850-1851 (aka Placerville Route, Lake Tahoe Route and Day's Route) from Carson City, Nevada past the south end of Lake Tahoe going south and then west to Placerville, California and Sacramento
- Daggett Pass 1850 (aka Georgetown Pack Trail) Carson Valley, Nevada to Johnson's Cutoff near South Lake Tahoe, California
- Grizzly Flat Road 1852 an extension of Carson Trail down the middle fork of the Consumnes River to Grizzly Flat and Placerville, California
- Volcano Road 1852 from Coral Flat (Pioneer) on the Carson Trail to Volcano, California
- Luther Pass Trail 1854 connected the Carson Trail and Johnson's Cutoff and allowed travelers to avoid Lake Tahoe. It became one of the routes to the Comstock Lode in Nevada
Military History and Records
For marriages from 1850-1875
Western States Marriage Index.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- El Dorado California Family History Center
- Pacerville, California
- South Lake Tahoe California Family History Center
- South Lake Tahoe, California
- El Dorado County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).