England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records, 1700-1916 .
This collection contains records for the years 1700-1916
This collection contains indexes of miscellaneous records acquired from the Manchester Central Library. The records include Apprenticeships, School Admissions, Prison Registers, and Workhouse Registers. The indexes and images provided in cooperation with Find My Past.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records, 1700-1916." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Brightsolid, n.d. Manchester Archives and Local Studies.
These apprenticeships may contain the following information:
- Full Name
- Date of birth
- Name of master
- Place of business
- Master’s Occupation
These school admissions may contain the following information:
- Date of admission
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Name of parents or guardians
- Name of previous school
- Date of withdrawal
- Name of school sent to following withdrawal
- Prison Registers – Record content will be found on this page with a little history about the prison registers
- Workhouse Registers - Record content will be found on this page with a little history about the workhouse registers
How to Use the Record
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year and place of birth
Search the Collection
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Using the Information
When you have found the record that you are looking for, the following will help you in your research:
- Use the age to calculate the year of birth
- If your ancestor was an apprentice, use the date of birth to search in the England, Births and Christenings collection.
- If your ancestor was admitted to a school, use the names of the parents on the record to search for a marriage record.
- For school admission records, use the date of birth to search for a baptism record.
- Use the place of birth and the calculated year of birth to search for a baptism record
- Use the last residence to search for your ancestor in a census
- If your ancestor was married, search for a marriage record using their first name and surname, along with the names of parents
- Use the birth year to search for a birth record
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
|This citation example isn't from this collection. You can help by replacing this example with a citation for a record found in this collection.|
“Argentina, Buenos Aires, Catholic Church Records, 1635-1981,” images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 28 February, 2012), La Plata > San Ponciano > Matrimonios 1884-1886 > image 71 of 389 images, Artemio Avendano and Clementina Peralta, 1884; citing Parroquia de San Ponciano en la Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Matrimonios. San Ponciano, La Plata, Buenos Aires.