England Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: I would like to order the film for this record. How do I know that I have the correct film?
Answer #1: It is best to perform a Catalog search on the film number and read the notes to determine if you have the correct film number (occasionally, the incorrect number will be shown on the indexed record). Several of the records are tied to multiple films as well. When that is the case, there will be several source films listed.
To perform a catalog search, follow these steps:
- Click the Catalog at familysearch.org
- Under Search, choose Film Numbers from the drop down list
- Key the film number into the ‘For’ box
- Press the Search button
- Click on the Title to view notes about the film.
Question #2: I have searched for a person and found two results. All of the information is the same, except the place of birth, they are different. Which one is correct?
Answer #2: When a search yields several records for the same person, and the information in the indexes do not match, you can check the Catalog (as described in Answer #1 above) to verify the correct location.
Question #3: I am finding errors in the localities for events. Is there a list available showing the correct locations?
The following is a list of location errors we are aware of:
- Batch C00023-2, Film 1769248. The records are from Washington Co, Texas not Northumberland, England
- Batch C00024-8, Film # 1526328. The records are from Yarmouth, Norfolk not Earsdon by North Shields, Northumberland,
- Batch C00061-8, Film 1328437. Some of the records have been indexed as being from Grindon by Stockton on Tees, Durham, England. The records from this film are from Nuestra Señora de Loreto, Algezares, Murcia, Spain.
- Batch C00078-2, Film 1279596. The records are from Albacete, Spain not England.
- Batch C00081-8, Film 1332356. The Christening Place: EDGEFIELD, DURHAM, ENGLAND is incorrect. The correct location is San Juan, Nava del Rey, Valladolid, Spain.
- Batch C01208-2. The film 98354 is incorrect and should likely be 919428
- Batch C01707-0, Film 1894478, item 3. The records are from St. Stephens, South Shield, Durham, not Stockton-upon-Tees.
- Batch C01830-0, Film 1473693. The location has been spelled incorrectly. It should be Sevenoaks, not Seven Oaks.
- Batch C07271-1, Films 991346, 991389. The location should be recorded as Northchurch, Hertfordshire rather than North Church, Hertford
- Batch C07714-1. The location is shown OLD MEETING HOUSE MEETING STREET-PRESBYTERIAN OR UBIRMINGH, BIRMINGHAM, WARWICK, ENGLAND. It should read PRESBYTERIAN OR UNITARIAN
- Batches C13548-1 and C13548-3. The event place was indexed as the Parish of Rye. It should be Baptisms for the Parish of Salehurst, Sussex for the years 1626-1699 and 1730-1782
- Batch C13548-5. The event place was indexed as Salehurst for the years 1728-1729. The correct event place and date range are yet to be established.
- Batch C15397-1, Film # 1279445. It appears to have been indexed twice and may show two different localities for the same marriage record - England, Wiltshire, Bishopstone (near Shrivenham) and England, Wiltshire, Bishopstrow. Need to look at the film to confirm information, but in most cases, if there are duplicates, the correct location will be Bishopstone.
- Batch I00355-6, Film 1836196. The location of Birth and Christening records should be recorded as Sturry, Kent rather than Dover, Kent.
- Batch I00784-9, Film 1786436. The records from this batch have been indexed as occurring in Elmstone, Kent. However, since the film has records from Elham, Elmstead andElmstone, the event location of Elmstone is questionable and would need to be checked by looking at the film. See Question and Answer #1 for ordering a film.
- Batch I01343-5. The baptism records are mostly from Ospringe rather than Oare
- Batch I01348-6, Film 1040887. The event place was indexed as Walsall-Wood. It should be Tutbury
- Batch I02014-1. Any indexed location showing Terrington, St Clement is incorrect and is either East Grinstead, Funtington or Goring in Sussex. Need to look at film 2147080 to confirm information, but in most cases, the correct location will be Funtington.
- Batch I02033-6. The event place was indexed as Kirkheaton, York, England. It should be Richmond, York, England.
- Batch I02069-9, Film 1736521. The records are from Alkham, Kent not Norfolk
- Batch I02070-7. The event place was indexed as Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England. It should be Thomas Aquinas, Stella, Durham parish of St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas, Stella, Durham.
- Batch I02241-3, Film 1470863. Most of the records from the batch are shown as occurring in Wood Dalling. Any Wood Dalling locations are questionable as the records could be from Norfolk parishes falling alphabetically after Wood Dalling.
- Batch #: I02314-2. The event place was indexed as Kyloe, Northumberland, England. The correct location is Doddington, Northumberland, England.
- Batch I02377-8, Film 1470912. Over Stowey and Pilton have all been attributed to Pilton, Somerset. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batches I03349-7, I03349-8, and I03349-9. The event place is listed as Ecclesfield, York, England. It should be Chapelry of Bradfield, York, England
- Batch I03887-9. The name of the Deanery is listed, not the Parish. Check film 350480 for localities
- Batch I03905-0, Film 1517739 items 13-21. The records are from Yoxall not Wombourn.
- Batch I03964-7: The event place was indexed as Cahlvington. It should be Chalvington.
- Batch I04626-2. The event place was indexed as West Tisted. It should be West Tytherley
- Batches I04300-2; I04300-3; I04415-4; I04415-5, Film 1999830. All of the records are shown as being from Hornton, Oxford. However, many of the records are in the 1600's and the Hornton records only start in the 1800's. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batch I04637-5, Film 199946. The records are from both Irchester and Irthlingborough, Northampton but are all indexed as being from Irchester. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batch I05575-5. The event place was indexed as Norwich. It should be Carlton Forehoe, Norfolk, England
- Batch I06791-6. The event place was indexed as Lazant. It should be Lezant
- Batch I06827-7. The event location of Womenswould is incorrect. The correct location is Woodchurch.
- Batch I07097-2, Film 1471170. This film has records from both Walcot and Walton Parishes. The film would have to be reviewed to confirm which location is the correct one. To order a film, follow the procedure outlined in answer #1 above. Once the you find the film in the catalog, click on it and the procedure for ordering the film will be displayed.
- Batch I07402-8, Film 1702622, Item 1. The records are from Docking, Norfolk, England not Garboldisham, Norfolk.
- Batch I07439-6. The location was extracted as Great Durham and should be Great Dunham
- Batch I07481-4. The christenings location in Dickleburgh, Norfolk, England is given correctly. But record shows a residence of Alburgh, Norfolk, England. There is nothing in the record that identifies the residence of the people in these records.
- Batch I07982-2, Film 1526463. The residence is shown as Chard but the records are from Chard, Charlcome, Charlton-Adam, Charlton-Horethorne, and Charlton-Makrell. Need to look at film to confirm location.
- Films 291617, 291618, 291619, 291620, 291621, 291622, 291623, 291624, 291625, 291626, 291627, 291628, 291629, 291630 are primarily for locations in Worcestershire. None are in Staffordshire.
- Film 1541958, Item 4. The records are from Bucknall, Lincolnshire not Claxby Pluckacre, Lincolnshire.
- Film 1596404, Item 2. The location was indexed as Whitchurch. It should be Whitsbury.
- Film 2262748. The film has records from both Marham and Hockwold-cum-Wilton but most have been indexed as being from Marham. It may be possible to find the correct location by searching in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 collection
- Film 2299763. The location was indexed as being Barnham Broom. It should be Scole parish records
Question #4: I am finding errors in the film numbers identified with certain batches. Is there a list available showing the correct film numbers?
Answer #4: The following is a list of film number errors we are aware of:
- Batch C13307-1 identifies the source film number as 0506876. This film is not for England records. The correct film number is 0560876
- Batch I02292-5 identifies the source film number as1471002. This is incorrect. The correct film number for this Batch is unknown.
- Batch P00301-1 identifies the source film numbers as 926148 and 926149. The correct film numbers are 962148 and 962149
- Batch P01480-1 identifies the source film number as 909710. The correct film number is 90710.
- Batch P01580-1 includes records prior to 1658 but the film number description says the records are from 1658-1714. Search results from batch P01580-1 prior to 1658 are from film 824046. Film 402302 is incorrectly identified as the source film for those results.
Question #5: A single page of baptismal records from Bumpstead-Helion, Essex, England are incorrectly indexed as burial records. How can I ensure I do not interpret these baptismal records as death or burial records?
Answer #5: If you search by Batch Number: I03392-7 and Death, Event Range: 1838-1838, the eight (8) search results with entries in the parents field and burial date range: 29 Jul, 5 Aug, 2 Sep 1838 are actually baptismal records.
Question #6: Some batch searches show results from both Germany and England. Which is correct?
Answer #6: In some cases the same batch number has been given to two different film numbers, such as one from Germany and one from England. In other cases, the batch is from just one film but there has been an error by attributing the batch to two different locations. In either case, the correct location can be determined by looking up the film description in the Catalog as described in Question and Answer #1. The following are batches that are examples of this problem:
- C00023-2 – contains records attributed to Germany, England, Pennsylvania, and World Miscellaneous collections. The records are actually from Texas Vital records
Question #7: I find a number of records with the character Ö in batch I05372-2. What is the meaning of this character?
Answer #7: This character has been mistakenly added in indexing. The correct character is simply the letter O.
Question #8: There are records with the event location given as Hempton, Suffolk. Is this correct?
Answer #8: The event location of Hempton Suffolk is incorrect. The correct location is Flempton, Suffolk.
Question #9: When I click on the film number in some England records, I get records no results. How can I see the records from these films?
Answer #9: At the moment, some film number searches are not working correctly. The following is a list of films known to be affected:
- 91528, 91529, 924486, 924744, 962148, 962149
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the England Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 collection at FamilySearch.org.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More