England Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
Question #1: Some marriages have been attributed to the wrong parish. What is the correct marriage place?
- Records from Yoxall, Staffordshire, extracted in Batches #I03904-9, #I03905-1, and #I03905-0 have been incorrectly attributed to Wombourn, Staffordshire. Films #1752222 and #1517739, which contain parish registers for both Yoxall and Wombourn, can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- St Anne, Lancashire indexed entries that were extracted in Batch #I03376-6 have been incorrectly attributed to St Andrew, Lancashire. Film #1656149, which includes parish registers for both St Andrew and St Anne, can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Wimbotsham, Norfolk records are incorrectly attributed by Batch #I07435-5 to Weasenham All Saints, Norfolk.
- Some marriages at Syston, Gloucestershire have been incorrectly attributed in Batch #I04146-8 to Syston, Lancaster. The event place can be checked on the microfilm of parish registers, and on Library Catalog Notes regarding such microfilm. Bishop’s Transcripts and Archdeacon’s Transcripts, when available, can also be usefully compared with the marriage place in an indexed entry.
- Barningham, York marriage records extracted in Batch #I04511-8 from Film #1849267 were incorrectly attributed to Barnsley, York.
- Batch #M01947-7 records for Surrey were extracted from Film #1278913, which includes records from several different parishes. Limited instances have been reported of the wrong parish being identified as the marriage place. When an indexed entry includes a film item number: (1) Search for Film #1278913 in the Library Catalog, (2) select the marriage place that was identified in the indexed entry, (3) check the Film Notes to confirm that the film item number agrees with the item number in the indexed entry. If there is no reference number in the indexed entry, the microfilm must be viewed to confirm that the marriage place is correct
- Records from Scropton, Derbyshire extracted in Batch #M01354-4 have been incorrectly attributed to Ripley, Derbyshire. Film #1752222, which contains parish registers for both Scropton and Ripley, can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Tutbury, Stafford indexed entries that were extracted in Batch # I01348-6 have been incorrectly attributed to Walsall-Wood, Stafford. Film #1040887, which includes parish registers for both Tutbury (Items 1-6) and Walsall-Wood (Items 7-9), can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Most records in Batch # I02318-1 Film #1470920 are wrongly attributed to Laverton, Somerset, England. Parish of Laverton may or may not be correct.
- Batch M01619-4, Film 989534 - EASy extracted location as Somerton, Suffolk. Batch M13233-1, ODM Film 989534 extracted location as Lawshall, Suffolk. Film description doesn't help. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch I07519-1 Film #1657204 Multiple locations on same film have been incorrectly attributed to same location. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch I04481-1 Film #1526463. Multiple locations on same film have been incorrectly attributed to same location. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Marriages from Batch I00355-6, film 1836196 have been indexed as Dover, Kent. The correct location is Sturry, Kent, England.
- Some indexes from film 1596232 have been incorrectly recorded as occurring in Bale, Norfolk. Parts of the film are from Bale but others are from Stratton St. Michael, Field Dalling and Lammas with Little Hautbois. To verify the correct location, it is possible to view the Parish register images for these events in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 collection.
- Batch I02377-8 Film # 1470912 Over Stowey and Pilton have all been attributed to Pilton, Somerset. Need to look at film to confirm information
Question #2: Some indexed entries include the wrong film number. What is the correct film number?
Answer #2: Entries for marriages performed at Buckland Newton, Dorset that were extracted in Batch #M15823-1 mistakenly include Film #1279489. The correct film is #1279487.
Question #3: Some entries in the collection are for marriage banns, but are not identified as such. Is it possible that (1) the marriage did not occur, or (2) it occurred at another location and has not been indexed for inclusion in the England Marriages collection?
Answer #3: Yes. Check the Library Catalog Notes for the film number included in an indexed entry to determine whether the marriage year corresponds to the date range in the Notes for marriage banns.
Question #4: Why are there marriage records for Norfolk, Virginia, USA included in this collection?
Answer #4: This is an indexing error. The records are from Norfolk England.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to e-mail us at <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com</a>. Please include the following information:
• If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
• If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the <a href="England Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)">England Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)</a> Learn More page.
Return to the <a href="https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1473015">England Marriages 1538-1973</a> collection at FamilySearch.org.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback