England Record Selection TableEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 10:34, 18 August 2008 by Davide
This table can help you decide which records to search. It is most helpful for research from 1800 to the present.
- Step 1. Choose an ancestor you would like to know more about. Decide what information you would like to learn about that person. This new information is your research goal.
- Step 2. In column 1 of this table, find the goal you selected.
- Step 3. In column 2 of this table, find the types of records most likely to have the information you need; then read the sections in this outline about those types of records.
- Step 4. Look in the Family History Library Catalog and choose a specific record to search.
- Step 5. Look at the record.
- Step 6. If you do not find the information you need, return to column 3 and search those record types. Note:Records of previous research (Genealogy, Biography, History, Periodicals, and Societies) are useful for most goals, but they are not listed unless they are especially helpful.
|1. If You Need||2. Search These Record Types First||3. Search These Record Types Next|
|Age||Census, Civil Registration, Church Records||Cemeteries, Obituaries, Military Records|
|Birth date||Civil Registration, Church Records||Obituaries, Newspapers, Military Records, Occupations|
|Birthplace||Census, Civil Registration, Church Records||Obituaries, Newspapers, Occupations, Military Records|
|Place of foreign birth (not England)||Church Records, Census||Emigration and Immigration, Military Records|
|Parish, district, and county boundaries||Gazetteers||Maps, History|
|Death||Civil Registration, Church Records, Obituaries, Newspapers, Cemeteries||Probate Records, Court Records, Land and Property, Military Records|
|Historical background||History, Genealogy||Church History|
|Immigration date||See research outline for country to which ancestor immigrated||Emigration and Immigration, Church Records|
|Living relatives||Directories, Civil Registration||Societies, Newspapers, Periodicals|
|Maiden name||Civil Registration, Church Records||Obituaries, Newspapers, Cemeteries|
|Marriage||Church Records, Civil Registration, Genealogy, Periodicals||Newspapers, Biography, Nobility, Cemeteries|
|Occupation||Church Records, Census, Directories, Civil Registration, Occupations, Probate Records||Court Records, Obituaries, Officials and Employees, Military Records, Taxation|
|Parents, children, and other family members||Census, Obituaries, Probate Records||Church Records, Newspapers, Civil Registration|
|Physical description||Military Records, Court Records||Church Records, Newspapers, Civil Registration|
|Place-finding aids||Gazetteers, Directories, Maps||History, Taxation, Land and Property, Periodicals|
|Places of residence||Census, Church Records, Directories||Land and Property, Probate Records, Taxation|
|Place of residence when you know only the county||Directories, Census, Probate Records, Civil Registration||Church Records, Taxation|
|Previous research (compiled genealogy)||Biography, Genealogy, Societies||Nobility, Periodicals|
|Record-finding aids||Archives and Libraries, Genealogy||Societies, Periodicals|
|Religion||Church Records, Biography, Obituaries, Civil Registration|| Cemeteries, Genealogy, History, Probate Records|