England Websites Arranged by RecordEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Information about England and its genealogical records.
- wiki.familysearch.org This site is being built and continually added to by the genealogical community. Always new information being added to help with any form of genealogical and family research.
- www.genuki.org.uk Provides various links to research websites for England
- www.cyndislist.com (Great links to online English research)
- http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~origins/enggene.htm A vast collection of England genealogy websites
- Forums.familysearch.org Submit research problems or questions online and receive research suggestions and tips from experts all over the world.
- www.a2a.org.uk Search for records in county archives throughout England
Baptismal, marriage, & burial records
Church of England (Anglican)'
- www.familysearch.org-Indexes of births and baptisms, 1538-1975; marriages, 1538-1973, deaths and burials 1538-1991 for all of England. Images available for Cornwall, Kent, Norfolk, and some for Cheshire, Durham, Lancashire and Yorkshire
- www.ancestry.com- Images available for London and surrounding area, Dorset, Lancashire, Warwickshire, & West Yorkshire. Transcripts available for many other counties.
- www.findmypast.co.uk- Transcripts of baptisms, marriages, and burials 1538-2005. Free access at a FamilySearch Center. Images available for Cheshire, West Devon, parts of London, Westminster, Middlesex and others.
- http://freereg.rootsweb.com/- Online transcripts of baptisms, marriages, & burials (ongoing project- not complete)
- www.ukbmd.org.uk- provides links to some countywide online church registers databases
- www.thegenealogist.co.uk- Transcripts of parish registers
- http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexAncestors.asp- Online images for Essex parish registers
- www.google.com- Just try Googling the name of the ‘county’ or ‘parish’ + ‘parish registers.’ I.e. ‘Worcestershire parish registers’ or ‘Churchill parish registers.’
Those not belonging to the Church of England
- www.familysearch.org Indexes to births/baptisms, 1620-1881; marriages 1619-1898;
- www.thegenealogist.co.uk ($) FHL Subscription (Free indexes and images at the FHL)
- www.bmdregisters.co.uk ($) (Indexes free)
(Records locating families & individuals at a specific place and time)
- www.familysearch.org (free) 1841-1911 (Indexes only; images available via partner websites)
- www.ancestry.com ($) 1841-1911 (index & images)
- www.findmypast.co.uk ($) 1841-1911 (index & images)
- www.thegenealogist.co.uk ($) 1841-1901 (index & images); 1911 (beta)
- www.britishorigins.com ($) 1841; 1861-1871; (index & images)
- www.censusfinder.com (free) transcripts of some England census records
- www.freecen.org.uk (free) transcripts of numerous census records throughout England
(Births, marriages, and death certificates)
- www.freebmd.org.uk July 1837-1983 (indexes from the General Registrar’s Office; not yet complete for later years; indexes only; must order certificates from England)
- www.ukbmd.org.uk (indexes from the local registrar’s office)
- www.ancestry.com ($) July 1837-2006 (indexes only; must order certificates from England)
- www.findmypast.co.uk ($) July 1837-2006 (indexes only; must order certificates from England)
- www.thegenealogist.co.uk ($)
- www.gro.gov.uk Order the certificates online from this website.
- www.ancestry.com ($) England & Wales Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 (Quarter Sessions & Assize Courts).
- www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Contains a vast amount of court records which can be ordered online. Includes an online index to the Manorial Documents Registers for Manor records.
- www.oldbaileyonline.org.uk Almost 200,000 criminal trials at London’s central criminal court.
(Locate ancestors at a specific location and time)
- www.genuki.org.uk Links to English directories
- http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/b1.asp Various directories throughout England
Records of 19th Century LDS converts
- http://lds.org/churchhistory/library/pioneercompanysearch Mormon Overland Trail, 1847-1868; list of pioneer families and individuals who migrated to Utah across the plains.
- www.dupinternational.org Contains submitted histories, biographies, articles, pictures, etc. of pioneer ancestors
- http://immigrants.byu.edu Tracks LDS converts in ships migrating across the ocean to America.
- http://histfam.familysearch.org Community Trees are lineage-linked genealogies from specific time periods & geographic localities around the word.
- Winterquarters.byu.edu Winter Quarters Project. Includes pioneer biographies, settlements, deaths, map of Winter Quarters, etc.
- Lib.byu.edu/digital/mmd LDS missionary journals kept during their missionary service
Finding information/records if an ancestor served in the military
- www.nationalarchives.gov.uk The premier repository for military records in the United Kingdom.
- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/default.htm Information on how to find military records.
- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/our-online-records.htm Records available online through the National Archives website.
- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/digital-microfilm.htm Microfilm that’s been digitized and made available online for free.
- www.findmypast.co.uk ($) Includes many British Military records
- www.ancestry.com ($) Indexes to military records
- www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk ($) (great newspaper collection)
- www.connectedhistories.org British Newspapers, 1600-1900
- www.familysearch.org > United Kingdom and Ireland. Includes miscellaneous records such as poor law, tax assessments, probate, court, monumental inscriptions, etc. for select counties.
- www.connectedhistories.org A variety of digital British records & papers including: Convict Transportation Registers, House of Commons papers, London Lives, 1690-1800, Charles Booth Archive, Old Bailey records, British Newspapers, 1600-1900, and more.
- www.google.com Use this search engine to find your ancestors (in a Google search type “Surname” (of your ancestor) + name of the parish or county from where they came from.
- Other Search Engines: (www.bing.com, www.yahoo.com, www.ask.com, www.dogpile.com)
- www.Mocavo.com ($) A genealogy search engine. Type the name of an ancestor and watch as the search results only appear if they may have genealogical value pertaining to your ancestor.
- www.genesreunited.com Use this website to find distant relatives via a common ancestry.
- www.origins.net Apprenticeship records
Tracing English emigrants/immigrants
- www.ancestry.com ($) Many passenger lists including those arriving at US and Canadian ports. Also a database for those returning or visiting the British Isles from 1878-1960.
- www.findmypast.co.uk ($) Passenger lists of those leaving the British Isles (1890-1960); also a Register of passport applications, 1851-1903.
- www.ancestorsonboard.com ($) Passenger lists of those leaving the British Isles (1890-1960)
- www.ellisisland.org- 1892-1956 (New York passenger lists)
- www.castlegarden.org- 1820-1913 (New York passenger lists pre Ellis Island)
- www.immigrantships.net- Passenger lists from all over the world- must search each volume as there is no searchable index.
- immigrants.byu.edu- Tracks LDS converts in ships migrating to America.
WILLS / PROBATE
May name spouse, children, or other family members
- 'For wills pre-1858': wiki.familysearch.org > type the name of the county and then add Probate i.e. “Worcestershire Probate.” Gives step-by-step instruction on how to find a will. Click the letter of the alphabet to the parish where your ancestor died. May include links to online indexes and include the microfilm numbers to the images of wills at the Family History Library.
- 'For wills post-1857': www.ancestry.com (a direct link). Or go to the home page of Ancestry.com > click Search > click Card Catalog > in the Keywords type National Probate. For microfilm image of the will go to wiki.familysearch.org > type Principal Probate Registry. This links to microfilm numbers at the Family History Library. www.familysearch.org Kent wills online 1440-1881
- www.origins.net ($) Includes a National Wills Index
- www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Index to wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
- www.thegenealogist.co.uk ($) Index & images to wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
- www.findmypast.co.uk ($) Includes transcripts of various probate courts.
MAPS, GAZETTEERS, AND PLACENAMES
Helps understand where ancestor came from
- maps.familysearch.org - An excellent resource for finding neighboring parishes, distance between parishes, jurisdictions of the parish, when records begin, viewing old ordinance survey maps of the parish, view your ancestor’s parish in relations to Google maps and Google Earth.
- www.visionofbritain.org/uk Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
- http://www.british-history.ac.uk Topographical Dictionary of England
- www.genuki.org.uk Links to maps, gazetteers, etc.
- www.getamap.co.uk -Ordnance Survey Maps
- www.old-maps.co.uk ($) -Access to historical maps in England
CEMETERIES & BURIALS
Find where an ancestor is buried
- www.familysearch.org > Catalog > Place Search > Type County or parish > Cemeteries
- www.genuki.org.uk- Links to English cemeteries
- www.findmypast.co.uk- has the largest online burials databases for England
- www.deceasedonline.com- Wants to become the premier database for cemetery records in the United Kingdom post 1858.
- www.findagrave.com- Includes England burial grounds
- www.cwgc.org- Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Graves of British soliders throughout the British commonwealth.
REPOSITORIES IN ENGLAND
Where original records are kept; County Record offices
- www.nationalarchives.gov.uk- The National Archives website. Great for military and other government created records many of which are online.
- www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-INDEX.htm- County-by-county listing of Record Offices throught England and Wales.
- www.familysearch.org/locations- FamilySearch centers nationwide provide circulation of most records on microform
- http://www.progenealogists.com/greatbritain/englandrepositories.htm- Links to County Record Offices throughout England. These record offices hold a vast amount of county records.
- Society of Genealogies- Britain’s premier family history society. Includes many register transcriptions to thousands of parishes.
- http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/LND/- Information on major repositories in London.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here