Euxton, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
 +
[[Image:Euxton_Parish_Church_contributor_Galatas.jpg|thumb|right|Euxton parish Church contributor Galatas]]<br>
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Euxton is a village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, in Lancashire, England. The village is pronounced /ˈɛkstən/ "Exton") and is situated just to the south of Leyland, and to the west of Chorley.
+
Euxton is a village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, in Lancashire, England. The village is pronounced /ˈɛkstən/ "Exton") and is situated just to the south of Leyland, and to the west of Chorley.  
  
 
Euxton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Leyland Ancient Parish.  
 
Euxton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Leyland Ancient Parish.  
Line 10: Line 11:
 
Unusually the parish church has no dedication but was founded in the 14th century although there is evidence of an even earlier structure underneath. The chief architectural features are the windows in the north and south walls. The piscina and sedile belong to the 14th century and four other windows also date from the 14th century.  
 
Unusually the parish church has no dedication but was founded in the 14th century although there is evidence of an even earlier structure underneath. The chief architectural features are the windows in the north and south walls. The piscina and sedile belong to the 14th century and four other windows also date from the 14th century.  
  
Today, Euxton parish church is a grade 2 listed structure able to seat 191 people for services.
+
Today, Euxton parish church is a grade 2 listed structure able to seat 191 people for services.  
  
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br><br>
+
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br><br>  
  
 
EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &amp;c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimneypieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit.  
 
EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &amp;c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimneypieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit.  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 186-191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50951 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 186-191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50951 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 24: Line 25:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire_BMD]]<br>
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
  
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks ====
+
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
  
Transcripts for this parish may be found online.
+
Transcripts for this parish may be found online.  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 42: Line 43:
 
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
  
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
+
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census <br>
+
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census <br>  
  
==== Poor Law Unions ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions ====
  
[[Chorley_Poor_Law_Union,_Lancashire]]
+
[[Chorley Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 65: Line 66:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 19:55, 20 December 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Euxton parish Church contributor Galatas

Contents

Chapelry History

Euxton is a village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley, in Lancashire, England. The village is pronounced /ˈɛkstən/ "Exton") and is situated just to the south of Leyland, and to the west of Chorley.

Euxton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Leyland Ancient Parish.

Unusually the parish church has no dedication but was founded in the 14th century although there is evidence of an even earlier structure underneath. The chief architectural features are the windows in the north and south walls. The piscina and sedile belong to the 14th century and four other windows also date from the 14th century.

Today, Euxton parish church is a grade 2 listed structure able to seat 191 people for services.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.

EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimneypieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 186-191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50951 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Transcripts for this parish may be found online.


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Chorley Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.