Everton Christ Church, LancashireEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 22:51, 6 March 2012 by DunnPB (Talk | contribs)

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes


Contents

Chapel History

Everton Christ Church, Great Homer Street was created a chapelry in 1848 from Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.

The church was built after 1845 and consecrated in 1949  but was destroyed in May 1941 bombing. Services continued in a Mission Hall, until the parish amalgamated with St Chad-with-Christ Everton in 1948. This church closed in 1971 when the parish was amalgamated with St George Heyworth Street.

The name Everton is derived from the Saxon word eofor which meant "wild boar that lived in forests".

Everton is an inner city area located just north of Liverpool city centre, with Vauxhall to the west, Kirkdale to the north and Anfield to the north east. The Liverpool entrance to the Kingsway Tunnel is located near the boundaries of this area.

Everton is an ancient settlement and like Liverpool, was one of the six un-named berewicks of West Derby. Until the late 18th century Everton was a small rural parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, but the rise in wealth of nearby Liverpool pushed wealthier merchants further afield to live. By the early 19th century however an increase in slums and demand for housing saw Everton began to be built up and in 1835, Everton became part of Liverpool.

Noted author Thomas de Quincy lived in Everton for some time in the early 19th century.

Along with neighbouring Vauxhall, Everton traditionally housed the city's Irish, Italian and Polish immigrants. Everton was to be the original site for the building of the Metropolitan Cathedral on St.Domingo road but this was abandoned because of financial constraints. The Cathedral was eventually located in the city centre close to the southern edge of Everton.

"EVERTON, a township [with three sepaprate chapelries by 1848], in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 1 mile north by northeast from Liverpool; The district church of St George was erected in 1813, St Augustine's church, Shaw-street, was erected in 1830. Christchurch, in Boundary-lane, was built in 1848,"

There were two Roman Catholic chapels, one In Salisbury-street, the church of St. Francis Xavier and one named St Edward's built at the Roman Catholic College, established in 1843.[1]

The Crescent Chapel, belonging to the Independents, was built in 1846. 

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection


Cemetery records

Within the limits of the township, bordering upon Low Hill, in West Derby, is the Necropolis, a burial-place formed in 1825,

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of Englandby Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 191-195. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50952 Adapted. Date accessed: 08 March 2011.<br>

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).