Everton St George, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(added info and links)
m (Text replace - "== Reference<br> ==" to "== References ==")
Line 77: Line 77:
 
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}  
 
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}  
  
== Reference<br> ==
+
== References ==
  
 
{{Reflist}}
 
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 16:30, 15 June 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

St George's Church, Everton.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Everton St George was created a chapelry of Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish in 1814.

The name Everton is derived from the Saxon word eofor which meant "wild boar that lived in forests". Everton is an inner city area located just north of Liverpool city centre, with Vauxhall to the west, Kirkdale to the north and Anfield to the north east. The Liverpool entrance to the Kingsway Tunnel is located near the boundaries of this area.

Everton is an ancient settlement and like Liverpool, was one of the six un-named berewicks of West Derby. Until the late 18th century Everton was a small rural parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, but the rise in wealth of nearby Liverpool pushed wealthier merchants further afield to live. By the early 19th century however an increase in slums and demand for housing saw Everton began to be built up and in 1835, Everton became part of Liverpool.

Noted author Thomas de Quincy lived in Everton for some time in the early 19th century.

Along with neighbouring Vauxhall, Everton traditionally housed the city's Irish, Italian and Polish immigrants. Everton was to be the original site for the building of the Metropolitan Cathedral on St.Domingo road but this was abandoned because of financial constraints. The Cathedral was eventually located in the city centre close to the southern edge of Everton.

St George is a Grade I listed building and the earliest of three churches in Liverpool built by John Cragg, who used many components in cast iron which were made at his Mersey Iron Foundry. The other "cast iron" churches in Liverpool were St Michael's Church,  Aigburth, Lancashire and St Philip's Church (since demolished) in Hardman Street.

The building of the church was enabled by an Act of Parliament, the St. George's Church, Everton Act, which was passed in 1813. The foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1813 and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 26 October 1814. The architect was Thomas Rickman and the church was built by John Cragg.

It is an active Anglican parish church in the Diocese of Liverpool, the Liverpool archdeaconry, and the Liverpool Northern deanery.

"EVERTON, a township [with three sepaprate chapelries by 1848], in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 1 mile north by northeast from Liverpool; The district church of St George was erected in 1813, St Augustine's church, Shaw-street, was erected in 1830. Christchurch, in Boundary-lane, was built in 1848,"

There were two Roman Catholic chapels, one In Salisbury-street, the church of St. Francis Xavier and one named St Edward's built at the Roman Catholic College, established in 1843.[1]

The Crescent Chapel, belonging to the Independents, was built in 1846. 

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/



Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306905.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.


Bibliography

Pollard, Richard; Nikolaus Pevsner (2006), The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, New Haven & London: Yale University Press, pp. 417–418, ISBN 0 300 10910 5

Web sites

References

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of Englandby Samuel A.&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Lewis&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;(1848), pp. 191-195. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50952 Adapted. Date accessed: 08 March 2011.&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;br&amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;