FamilySearch Communities: Administrator GuideEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
FamilySearch has begun a pilot project to create a place where people can get assistance with their research questions. Each area has an Admin who helps with the administration of the page. Facebook and Skype Admins do an incredible work to help people with their research in all areas of the world.
- Lead the creation of a vibrant, collaborative research community on Facebook and Skype.
- Visit the page once a day, interact with community members as they post, and show gratitude for great resources shared. (This is one reason why it’s great to have multiple admins.)
- Ensure all questions are answered or addressed. (You don’t have to do it all, but you can help encourage contribution.)
- Be aware of the FamilySearch resources for your area so that you can recommend them when appropriate. (These pages do not need to be all about FamilySearch, but we do hope that they will help the public be more aware of the ways that FamilySearch can help people with their research.)
- At least a few times a week, contribute information about how to do genealogy research in this area, great resources, genealogy events, etc. Here are a few ways to stay on top of the resources that are being added all the time:
- Help the community members adhere to the following policies:
- Keep group discourse civil and polite at all times.
- All posts should be genealogy-related and off-topic posts will be removed.
- All discussions should be kept neutral and non-denominational. (LDS-specific discussions should not take place in these groups.)
- Join our group of community admins, and connect with the fellow admins of your specific group (we hope that each group will eventually have 2-3 admins).
- If you must leave as an admin, help us find someone else to take your place.
Facebook administrator training webinars
Each Saturday, a training webinar is held to teach about the different things that can be done with a Facebook page.
Though the FamilySearch pages may often be referred to in these discussions, these trainings are open to the general public. If you are an administrator of a genealogy-related page on Facebook, you are welcome to attend!
- Date: Each Saturday
- Time: 10am Mountain Time
- Place: Click to attend
Instructions to join:
- Click the above link.
- Sign in as a Guest (your name will be shown as a meeting attendee).
- Enter your phone number (no punctuation) to have the system call you.
- If it doesn't call you, you may need to call in instead. Dial 877-459-7266, then follow the prompts and enter 1212# to join the meeting.
- International callers may need to use Skype to dial into the meeting if the system doesn't call them.
- Go to MeetingPlace.
- Enter 1212 and click Find Meeting.
- Click Past, change the dates if needed.
- In the bottom section, find the meeting on the date of the meeting you want to watch.
- Click on the number 1212 to go to the meeting room.
- Click on Attachments/Recordings on the right side of the screen.
- Click on the WebRecording link.
Request to become an Admin
If you are interested in being an admin of a Research Community, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your name and best way to contact:
- Area to admin:
- Genealogical research experience in this area:
- Experience in Facebook, Twitter, or other social media sites:
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback