FamilySearch Indexing: Swedish Church Records InstructionsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
General Indexing Instructions
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data into the appropriate fields. When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information. When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U. When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
If a <Required> field contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don’t know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank. If a field that is not required contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don’t know," press Tab to skip this field.
Do not type periods, commas, parentheses or semicolons after initials, abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
Red Wavy Line
The red wavy line or colored background does not mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is okay.
Swedish Project Specific Instructions
Language for Field Names
The indexing field names and the field helps in the bottom right corner of the indexing screen are available in Swedish. To change to Swedish: At the top of the indexing screen, click Tools. Select Options. Select Language. Click the drop-down arrows in the boxes titled Language for Field Names and Language for Field Help, and select Same as Document. Click OK. Close the data entry screen and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
If the name of a person or a locality you are typing is written with an international character such as the ä in här, please insert the international letter by doing one of the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit. Click International Letters. Select the letter you want to insert by clicking on it.
- Click the International Letters icon on the toolbar above the data entry area and select the letter you want to insert.
- Use a keyboard option to type the Å, Ä, or Ö. To learn more about the keyboard options see the FamilySearch Wiki article: Sweden: Type the letters Å, Ä, and Ö
Number of Records per Image
The data entry area is set at 1 record per image; however, the number in this project can be 50 records or more per image. You will need to adjust the number of lines to match the number of records on your image. To do this:
1. On the menu bar, click Tools.
2. Click Records per Image.
3. In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
4. Click OK.
Upon completion of the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to this image. When there are no more records to be indexed: Insure that "0" (zero) is in the Number of records box. Click OK.
Indexing the First Record of a Batch
When the first image of a batch begins with a partial record, start indexing at the first complete record.
Indexing the Last Record of a Batch
When the last record on the image is not complete:
1. Be connected to the Internet and be working online.
2. Click on View.
3. Scroll down, and click on ShowPrevious/Next Image.
4. Click the Next Image button that appears.
5. Index the record while viewing both images concurrently.