FamilySearch Indexing: US Veterans Pension Cards, 1907-1933, OverviewEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics of This Project
- The Veterans Pension Cards are payments made from 1907 to 1933 to veterans and their dependents.
- The Veterans Pension Cards were handwritten or typed on four types of forms (or cards): Invalids, Widows, Dependents, and Minors.
- The cards are very similar.
- On the Invalid and Minor cards, the name of the veteran is listed first.
- On the Widow and Dependent cards, the recipient’s name is listed first and the veteran's name is listed farther down on the card.
- The back of the card lists pension rates and records of individual payments. This side of the card will not be indexed and should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image— Example.
- Records are arranged alphabetically by the surname of the recipient, veteran, or dependent, except that cards with Indian names were filmed alphabetically at the beginning of the respective letter of the alphabet.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image contains two cards, and the two cards are sometimes for the same individual.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- Project home page
- Project instructions (for this project)
- Field helps (a printable list of all field helps)
- Project updates (current information, updated as needed.)
- Basic indexing instructions (for all projects)
- FamilySearch indexing home page
- Resource Guide
- Indexing projects progess
- No restrictions are associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More