FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 13 December 2012

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(probably)
m (added content)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
:*<br>
 
:*<br>
  
=== Kudos go to ...&nbsp; ===
+
=== Kudos go to ...&nbsp; ===
 +
 
 +
<br>
  
 
=== Updates and follow up  ===
 
=== Updates and follow up  ===
Line 17: Line 19:
 
*Update on discussion from last week regarding better information on projects in the Wiki - Lynda is creating a spreadsheet of all projects she can find with leaders, status, etc. &nbsp;Jane will create a page to hold everything after checking to see what is already created. &nbsp;The current Projects page lacks project leader information and status.  
 
*Update on discussion from last week regarding better information on projects in the Wiki - Lynda is creating a spreadsheet of all projects she can find with leaders, status, etc. &nbsp;Jane will create a page to hold everything after checking to see what is already created. &nbsp;The current Projects page lacks project leader information and status.  
 
*:Lynda &nbsp;will also start contacting project leaders to get a status on their projects.  
 
*:Lynda &nbsp;will also start contacting project leaders to get a status on their projects.  
*:Also, we are looking at a way to archive completed projects or make it more apparent that they are completed when people are searching for projects.  
+
*:Also, we are looking at a way to archive completed projects or make it more apparent that they are completed when people are searching for projects. Template? Category to show that some of the smaller projects are projects to avoid duplication&nbsp;
 
*Utah Wikiproject Beginners Corner -&nbsp; *Graphics capture beginners - so not just words to link to beginners corner [[User:AdkinsWH|AdkinsWH]] 16:53, 12 December 2012 (UTC) - A meeting will be held to coordinate Jana's work and the ideas being &nbsp;pursued by the group working on the state page design, after the holidays.
 
*Utah Wikiproject Beginners Corner -&nbsp; *Graphics capture beginners - so not just words to link to beginners corner [[User:AdkinsWH|AdkinsWH]] 16:53, 12 December 2012 (UTC) - A meeting will be held to coordinate Jana's work and the ideas being &nbsp;pursued by the group working on the state page design, after the holidays.
  
 
=== Community Council Report  ===
 
=== Community Council Report  ===
 +
 +
*Images with living people (full front) in them - there is a suggestion of loosening up that requirement, so consideration is being made to admit that type of image if written permission has been given by the people in the images.&nbsp;
 +
*Check Wikipedia Image template - Add comments to the Talk page -&nbsp;[[FamilySearch_Wiki_talk:Image_use#Images_of_persons_-_proposed_change_of_policy|Images of persons - proposed change of policy]]<br>
  
 
=== Business/Announcements  ===
 
=== Business/Announcements  ===
Line 28: Line 33:
 
*Google Communities and Hangouts - Lee Drew  
 
*Google Communities and Hangouts - Lee Drew  
 
*"Digital Collections" will probably be changed to "Online Collections" - David Dilts  
 
*"Digital Collections" will probably be changed to "Online Collections" - David Dilts  
 +
*Feedback received has indicated that "online collections" is a a better description and more understandable by beginners.
 
*[[FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProjects Seeking Contributors]] - FHL plans to keep this page more up-to-date to help you see various projects in progress. Anyone can add to this page. - David Dilts  
 
*[[FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProjects Seeking Contributors]] - FHL plans to keep this page more up-to-date to help you see various projects in progress. Anyone can add to this page. - David Dilts  
*Ohio Project update - Lisa
+
*Ohio Project update - Lisa - will be up and running by early Spring
 +
*FHL people are looking at projects for various regions of US
 +
*Delete template for images - check out the Talk page for details
  
 
=== Forums Overview  ===
 
=== Forums Overview  ===
 +
 +
Forums will be closed on Dec. 31st. &nbsp;A replacement for it is being discussed. &nbsp;There is a &nbsp;concern about the reference to Forums on the pass-along cards, and Google does find the Forums. Site-wide announcement on Wiki? &nbsp;We will check with Janell.
  
 
:Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at [http://forums.familysearch.org/en/forumdisplay.php?f=81 Wiki Contributors Corner forum]. <br>
 
:Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at [http://forums.familysearch.org/en/forumdisplay.php?f=81 Wiki Contributors Corner forum]. <br>

Revision as of 21:14, 13 December 2012

MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266  1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays

  • You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
  • Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.


Introduce new members


Kudos go to ... 


Updates and follow up

  • Thoughts on the Suffolk Gazeteers page 
  • Update on discussion from last week regarding better information on projects in the Wiki - Lynda is creating a spreadsheet of all projects she can find with leaders, status, etc.  Jane will create a page to hold everything after checking to see what is already created.  The current Projects page lacks project leader information and status.
    Lynda  will also start contacting project leaders to get a status on their projects.
    Also, we are looking at a way to archive completed projects or make it more apparent that they are completed when people are searching for projects. Template? Category to show that some of the smaller projects are projects to avoid duplication 
  • Utah Wikiproject Beginners Corner -  *Graphics capture beginners - so not just words to link to beginners corner AdkinsWH 16:53, 12 December 2012 (UTC) - A meeting will be held to coordinate Jana's work and the ideas being  pursued by the group working on the state page design, after the holidays.

Community Council Report

  • Images with living people (full front) in them - there is a suggestion of loosening up that requirement, so consideration is being made to admit that type of image if written permission has been given by the people in the images. 
  • Check Wikipedia Image template - Add comments to the Talk page - Images of persons - proposed change of policy

Business/Announcements

New Agenda Items

  • Google Communities and Hangouts - Lee Drew
  • "Digital Collections" will probably be changed to "Online Collections" - David Dilts
  • Feedback received has indicated that "online collections" is a a better description and more understandable by beginners.
  • FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProjects Seeking Contributors - FHL plans to keep this page more up-to-date to help you see various projects in progress. Anyone can add to this page. - David Dilts
  • Ohio Project update - Lisa - will be up and running by early Spring
  • FHL people are looking at projects for various regions of US
  • Delete template for images - check out the Talk page for details

Forums Overview

Forums will be closed on Dec. 31st.  A replacement for it is being discussed.  There is a  concern about the reference to Forums on the pass-along cards, and Google does find the Forums. Site-wide announcement on Wiki?  We will check with Janell.

Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
Current forum threads of interest:


Polls


New since last week

  •  

Comments added since last week


Decisions made since last week



Be bold, post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda. Possible topics include:
  • Moderator and Adopters
  • Style Guide Discussions
  • Project Help Requests
  • Training Requests
  • Improve the Wiki


Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.