FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 27 Mar 2012Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 20:46, 27 March 2012 by Averyld (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266  1 p.m. Mountain time on Tuesdays

  • You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
  • Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.

Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.



Introduce new members


Kudos go to ...


Updates and follow up

  • Widget box - We have the password to get in to it, per Nathan.  
  • Have a couple that could be added to people's websites or blogs that could serve as advertisiing for the Wiki.  
  • Jane will help Nathan to create a Widget that we can offer to Blogs, Societies, etc.
  • Create a promotional page when it's available.
  • AdBlock will not allow the widget

Business/Announcements

Moderators and Adopters

  • We need moderators for England, especially, so that we refer questions about content to them to be handled and helped
  • Get some ideas for these people from Steve
  • British Reference unit at FHL?
  • Alan Mann?
  • Try to get Moderators who aren't heavily involved now, and hope that in the future, those who are involved will be willling to Moderate.
  • Get Moderators for country and then moderators for each county (UK)
  • Chelsie - Facebook
  • Have people apply to be a moderator so they can be vetted for qualifications and can be trained (form is available)
  • Site-wide notice to request Moderators.  Is that possible?
  • Project promotion page - has ideas for how to promote 
  • Find active contributors who could be recruited as a moderator - give that information to the Support team so that they can be contacted and helped
  • Ken Knight - make contact with Steve, Alan Mann
  • Bromaelor might be a possibility ( war memorials, also) (Wales) - Rorie?
     

Style Guide Discussions

  • Take a look at the updated Stub information.  We have successfully adopted a modification to the existing MOS!  Lembley 18:34, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
  • Now that we've managed to navigate the process successfully, I'd like to take on addition style guide topics, one at a time, and while addressing those specific topics, see what we can do to define an effective process for handling style guide questions and recommendations on an on-going basis. I've compiled a short list of topics that have already been identified through forum posts or talk pages:
  • Listing books (Provide links to all known digital repositories? List top digital repositories? Use WorldCat template? Use FHLC number? Give priority to FamilySearch Family History books online?)
  • Linking – external links, URLs, linking within the FamilySearch wiki, linking out to other resources
  • Article length - When to break a section out into its own article.
  • When and how to cross-reference information found in other places within the wiki.
  • Use of bullets, indents, heading levels.
  • Use of character formatting (bold, italics) and color.

Let's discuss whether to maintain a running list on a MOS talk page, in the forums, or some other way. Feel free to add to this list.  Also, let's discuss which item to tackle next.  (Probably shouldn't be the most complicated item on the list since we're working on defining the process simultaneously.) Lembley 18:34, 27 March 2012 (UTC)

Use the Talk page for the manual of style for discussion

Project Help Requests

Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:

Training Requests


Improve the Wiki


Forums Overview

Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
  • Blog Post. The Ancestry Insider interviewed the current and former FamilySearch CEOs about their perspectives on FamilySearch Wiki. The first few paragraphs might interest participants in this meeting. Murphynw 15:58, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
Current forum threads of interest:


Polls


New since last week


Comments added since last week

  • New every-page message on wiki is confusing Site-wide messages: However there is Extension: DismissableSiteNotice that will add the features that we would like to the Research Wiki.
  • Records template There has been a misunderstanding concerning the Helpme template. It was set up to be used when a contributor had a need for help with using the Wiki. In other words, problems with adding a link, etc. - the mechanics of using the Wiki. The Records template was probably added to this page to indicate that there was a problem with content that the Historical Records people should look at. As for the copyrighted information, the Wiki support team would be happy to delete that information if we knew exactly what it was. We've asked to be apprised with the areas that are copyrighted in many articles, but we haven't had a response.
  • Kent Land Tax ( Historical Records) wiki page I know from experience that the FamilySearch staff genuinely cares about trying to find resolutions to problems, and about listening to the concerns of contributors and users. *Pay sites allowed? ... pointed out this conversation to them and your suggestions to add ($) after the links.
  • Discussion vs Talk

Decisions made since last week




Be bold! Post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda.