FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 3 Jan 2012Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 21:01, 3 January 2012 by Averyld (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266  1 p.m. Mountain time on Tuesdays

  • You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
  • Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.

Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.



Introduce new members


Kudos go to ...

  • Engineering team for fixing some of the bugs

Updates and follow up

  • I'd like to add a follow up discussion concerning Business Cards for Wiki Page Adopters and Moderators, in particular, for the upcoming Rootstech conference. I have a document with some suggested card styles to be discussed. --Carol B. Moss 20:48, 27 December 2011 (UTC) 
  • Darris will check on need for help at the Rootstech conference
  • Is help needed for a Wiki booth?
  • Tech tips - demo area for FamilySearch
  • Carol will look at adding a compass to the magnifiying glass on the proposed card and present that next week.  Consensus is to use design that is on the right of the examples shown.  
  • More discussion could be had for further designs for future use in other aspects.
  • Carol would send a template so that people could print their own
  • Could we have some blank ones to be handed out at Rootstech?  Consultants in consultant's training, for instance.   Darris said that we could have some generic ones printed for the conference.
  • The possibility of having a station where contributors  could print their own cards?
    • Has anyone used the "Share" feature to send a wiki article via email?  It isn't working, and I'm thinking probably hasn't been working for some time.  Since I didn't try it until October or November last year (when we had the email notifications issue), I assumed the problem was part of that issue, which is now resolved, I think.  Lise 19:35, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
    • Lynda will check list of Jira's

Business/Announcements

  • Support will be turning on their patron chat on Tuesday, 1/10/2012.  We will initially provide coverage Tuesday 11-5 and Wed-Friday 8-5.  evancol 16:07, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
  • Brainstorm ideas for a Widget/Button/Badge for libraries, societies, organizations to include on their pages that identifes them as being mentioned/featured in the FamilySearch wiki.  See Maureen Taylor's blog for a Wikipedia example.  Thanks to Fran Jensen for pointing this out.  Lise 17:53, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
  • Nathan will report on this item next week or the week after

Style Guide Discussions

  • The new Family History Archive viewer lacks persistent URLs. The URLs "are session based and only good for that browser and session" (quoting an engineer).
  • Here is a link that works: https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE63938 (you find the IE# in the URL)
  • Wikitext: {{FHA|IE63938|disp=online}} Murphynw 20:04, 27 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Books are being removed from the library shelves as they are digitized.  
  • This item needs to be added to the community news page

Project Help Requests

Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:

Training Requests


Improve the Wiki


Moderators and Adopters


Forums Overview

Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
Current forum threads of interest:


Polls


New past two weeks

  • Community Wiki Support Meeting will be held 9 a.m. on Tuesday mornings. Daytime meetings, since they are best for most current participants. Newsletters will be used to keep other community members informed and evening meetings will come as more of the community get involved.
  • MediaWiki internal error Underscore in user name causing log in problems?

Comments added in past two weeks

Decisions made since last week




Be bold! Post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to discuss during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post them on the discussion page and link to them from the agenda.