FamilySearch Wiki:Promoting a WikiProjectEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are two areas to consider when promoting your WikiProject - one is in looking for volunteers to help with the project, and the other is letting the general public know when you reach milestones in your project or complete the project.
Seek volunteers to help
- There are many places you can go to look for volunteers who would be interested in helping:
- Wiki Contributors: Look at who has contributed to existing pages in that topic area in the past and invite them to join in on the project.
- Forums: Let people know in the FamilySearch Wiki forums AND in the Research Area of the forums that relate to your project.
- Community News: Mention the new project and any major milestones on the Community News page.
- Facebook Wiki page: Invite people to participate on the FamilySearch Wiki Facebook page.
- Facebook Community: See if there is a Facebook Genealogy Research Community for this area, and invite people to participate there.
- General public: Invite those in the community who have special knowledge about research in this area to be a part of the project. One way to find some of them is through bloggers at Geneabloggers (see a list of bloggers by type). Be careful and do not spam them - spam is sending out copies of emails to lots of different people. Do your research and only contact those who you feel really will be interested.
Let the public know about the new resource
- There are two times you should let the public know about your project:
- When you reach milestones such as completing major pages
- When you complete the project
- Consider the following when determining where to let people know about the project:
- All of the same areas above can be places where you can post milestones about your project.
- The blogging community is also interested in these kinds of updates. As mentioned above with Geneabloggers, they may not have time to help, or be interested in every single milestone, but they will be interested in project completion and some major milestones.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More