FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Community Meeting 2012 Mar 14Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Click to join the meeting, 9:00–10:00 a.m. Wednesdays (Mountain). Meeting ID: 6804, click Attend Meeting, Sign in as a Guest (preferably with your name). (Further instructions under the label Join the meeting)
Anyone new to this meeting?
See progress reports
News and Events
- UGA Virtual Chapter, every 3rd Thursday, 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
- Saturday, June 9th, a Family History Fair will be held in Murray. Sponsored by FamilySearch? Details will follow.
- July 31-Aug 3 BYU Family HistoryConference
- Saturday, August 18th UGA Regional Conference in Cedar City. Sponsored by Cedar City Chapter, UGA
- Friday and Saturday, September 21 and 22, UGA Regional Conference, Larry H. Miller Campus of Salt Lake Community College
Review of last meeting
- FamilySearch Library Catalog links completed this week: Morgan and Tooele Counties (Lois)
- Patsy and Wilma did meet, not done. Joy is out sick, Wilma will meet with UGA this Friday to dicuss possible prizes with the Executive Committee. Photo info page
- To DO: 1) fill in UGA prizes; 2) wordsmith : to finish next week
- Newspapers section ready for your ideas
- Libraries: did not progress on it this week
- Separate sheet for each topic for the state
- Other wiki areas may adopt this idea
- Keep this topic on the agenda as an ongoing item
- Wilma has her tips on an Excell spreadsheet
- We need to focus more on content
Tasks to write this week
- Bold label is not as visually striking as the colored box.
- Thoughts in size of list
- Short list. If long, do a link to more. Make the list on county pages select one. Perhaps identify a maximum number of newspaper entries for the main page
- Some want the complete list on this page. Salt Lake: hard to envision having all the newspapers on the one page.
- Others want the main county page NOT cluttered up with all the list. There are approximately .... # for a county.
- Let's put more information in the newspaper section and tell how to locate copies. Inform people. Our purpose is not to click away, but to inform people: to tell them how to find and where to locate them.
- Chronicling America has a fairly comprehensive list Utah newspapers users need to know what to do once they get to this Library of Congress site.
- Even though there are websites that have lists of Utah's newspapers we like having the list here (in the wiki). We want people to get the info, also need the overview. It's tricky. Users don't often know where to go next. Most want the research easy, not work.
- The wiki point is to help people realize where records are, so they can go find them -- and it's their choice if they actually do it. OCLC #'s as well.
- Wilma's spreadsheet of newspapers can be arranged in date or alphabetical order, both ways are good and may be useful to wiki, but wiki doesn't allow users to select views in a spreadsheet.
- Obituaries: how to handle with Newspapers? Do in one task?
- Obituaries of neighboring counties List here rather than send them someplace else.
- Send to the Utah obituaries page (Utah obituary card index) From Des News and SL Trib Explain that in conjunction with Trib and Des News. Digitized link
- Possibly link from Obituaries to newspapers and vice versa
- Utah County has obituary index online through BYU
Libraries Discussion, con't
- Create a format page for gathering information about Utah libraries and their colletions: first focus - local (rural areas) libraries?
- What do we put in the "Libraries" area of each county: View Albany County, NY example
- List every possible library?
- List only those which may have a dedicated room or collection? (And let people work with them to fill in the form as they wish?)
Summary of decisions to this point in the conversation
- Don’t want long lists of anything, including libraries, unless it’s a complied list on another page
- Link to Utah Archives and Libraries page from each county
- We will use a format for gathering information. Format not yet decided.
- Pages created to link to Libraries and museums – so they can be used over and over
- Pictures of Libraries would be helpful
Meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- Progress reports
- Newspapers. Specific counties need to be also mentioned in the task.
To discuss soon:
- Provide context continued
- Tip Bank continued.
- Vital records setup: making ready for items to be entered
- Cemetery records
- Church records
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News