FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject Utah Tasks GenWeb LinksEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to Utah Wiki Project Main Page
Add links to valuable information about the county or its records on the Utah GenWeb pages for each of the 29 Utah counties.
Step 1. Select a county
A) In the assignment chart (which follows the instructions), sign up for the county you will work on for this task.
B) From the UTGenWeb site, select that county.
C) Search that county GenWeb site for items of genealogical or historical value for research, such as databases, indexes, maps, history, tips. See Guidelines for Including Links (or Not).
- If there are none that need to be added to the Wiki for that county, simply type in the Remarks area of the assignment chart "None found" and do Step 1 for the next county.
GenWebs frequently have several databases. For this task, we will place links in the county Wiki pages under each topic that fits.
A) In the county GenWeb site, click on a database and copy the address (URL).
B) In the FamilySearch Wiki, place the link under the appropriate topic heading for the county, such as "Cemeteries," "Military", or "Obituaries", etc.
- i. If you cannot link to the exact place, describe how to navigate to it on the site.
- ii. Link to the area where the user can browse like items, such as cemeteries. If there are several databases under that topic, please do not link to each one from the FamilySearch Wiki.
C) Describe the link so the user will know what to expect.
- i. In the description, make another link to the county GenWeb site main page, naming that link something like "the county GenWeb site." (The county GenWeb site is found by clicking on the county from UTGenWeb)
D) Type a summary of your edit and Save page.
E) Repeat until you have finished that county GenWeb site.
Step 3. Update the assignment chart
Back on this task page, add the date you finished this county GenWeb site, type the summary of your edit (name of county?) and Save page.
Congratulations! You did it! You've got the experience now!
Hope you're ready to sign up for another county!
The following examples may be helpful:
- (Under Military Records)
- (Under Vital Records)
The above links consist of:
- The link — to the exact location on the website for this topic.
- The words of the link — which tells the user what type of item they are linking to.
- The ID of the site — in this case, "county GenWeb site"
- A link to the main page of that county-level site. This was obtained by clicking to the county from UTGenWeb
- Description to help the user decide to click or not — Years included (in this case, the years are in the words of the link); approx # entries; what information is given in each entry; how to find column/code interpretations; other information the user needs.
- Cost: Free or $.