FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Project Ohio Tasks – Newspaper IntroEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WikiProject Ohio Wiki Project Ohio Tasks - Newspaper Records Intro
The purpose of this task is to add the introduction to newspaper records on Ohio county pages.
This task is beginner task and requires basic experience with copying and pasting in wikitext.
New to the wiki?
- See Help to request individual mentoring or to join community discussions.
- See Editing Help – Online Video Demonstration.
- See Editing Articles – Online Class.
- Call FamilySearch at 866-406-1830 in North America for live help.
- M–F 8–5, except Thurs 11–5 (All times Mountain Time)
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. For each county, you will add information to the county page by editing in wikitext. Read the general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
4. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
5. Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!
Wikitext Editing Instructions
1. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
2. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password. Find the sign-in area in the top right-hand corner of the page.
3. Scroll to the heading Newspapers.
4. Open the Newspapers heading for editing by clicking on the pen in square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
5. Click on the word wikitext in the toolbox at the top left of the edit box.
6. Place your cursor immediately after the heading Newspapers and strike the enter key on your keyboard.
7. While in wiki text, copy and paste the following template under the heading Probate Records:
8. If there is any other text under the heading, be sure to place the intro template on a separate line before any additional text.
9. Save the page.
10. Click on the blue links you just added.
- a. Public libraries
- b. Ohio Genealogical Society chapters
- c. College or university libraries
- d. Ohio Historical Society
- e. Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database
- f. Inter-library loan
- g. Ohio Newspapers
11. If any of these links do not work, please contact FamilySearch at the number listed in Description above.
12. Save the page and exit. The task is complete.
Example of Completed Heading
Mahoning County newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, or the Ohio Historical Society in the area where the newspaper was published. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
To search the Ohio Historical Society newspaper database click on the newspaper name to display available dates of publication and the Ohio Historical Society film number. All microfilmed newspapers are available through inter-library loan. The staff does not do newspaper searches.
For more Ohio newspaper information see Ohio Newspapers.
Example of a Completed Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Not all counties are included in the chart below. If your county is not listed, this task is not needed for your county.
- 5. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 6. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding Family History Center".
- 7. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 8. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for societies."
- Also, report your finished task on the Ohio FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!