FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Project United States wars Tasks-Vietnam War headingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This WikiProject is believed to be inactive. If you are not currently a member of the project, please consider joining it to help. This tag may be removed if activity resumes, or if this tag has been placed in error.|
This task is complete. Ignore this page.
The purpose of this task is to add any needed headings for the Vietnam War to the state Military Records pages.
- 1. Log in to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password.
- 2. Open another instance of the FamilySearch Research Wiki, either on another monitor or another tab on the internet browser. This will allow you to view these instructions while editing in the wiki.
- 3. On the new instance of the wiki, navigate to the state Military Records page and check the Table of Contents for a section titled “Vietnam War (1964–1972).”
- a. If this section is present, you have completed this task. Go to Step 12.
- b. If “Vietnam War (1964–1972)” is not found, your task is to create it. Go to Step 4.
- 4. Return to the window with this instruction page, scroll to this step, and copy the heading below. (To copy: highlight the text by placing the cursor just before the first letter and while holding down the left mouse button, drag the cursor across the desired text. When you stop pressing the left mouse button, the text will be highlighted. Now place the cursor somewhere within the highlighted text and press ‘’’Ctrl’’’ and ‘’’c’’’ simultaneously. Now the text is copied.)
Vietnam War (1964–1972)
- 5. Return to the window with the other instance of the wiki and navigate to the state Military Records page.
- 6. Scroll to the section, “Korean War (1950-1953),” and click on the “Edit” button to the right of that heading. (When you hover the mouse over the picture of the pen in a square, the word “Edit” appears. Click on the picture of the pen.)
- 7. Place the cursor at the end of the text that appears in the edit box and press “Enter.”
- 8. Follow the steps below to create a heading:
- a. Click on the down arrow to the right of the word “Normal” appearing in a box in the toolbar at the top of the edit window.
- b. Scroll down to “Heading 3” and click on those words
- c. Paste the heading that you copied in Step 4. (To paste: place the cursor where you want the heading to be inserted, then press Ctrl and v simultaneously. The heading should now be pasted.)
- 9. Preview the edit by clicking on the “Show preview” button near the bottom of this page.
- 10. If modifications need to be made, make the edits within the edit box.
- 11. Enter a brief explanation in the Summary field (example: added Vietnam War heading).
- 12. Save the page and exit. The task is complete. Initial the appropriate cell in the Progress Chart.
After completing this task for one state, you do not need to repeat step 1. Tasks 3b and 4 do not need to be repeated for subsequent states needing a heading as long as you haven't logged out of the wiki or "copied" new text.
Hint: Quickly navigate from one state Military Records page to another by selecting the name of the state from the “State Military Records” navigation box found at the bottom of each state’s Military Records page.
Example of a completed section
Vietnam War (1964–1972)
The Vietnam War was a conflict between North Vietnam (and its communist allies) and South Vietnam (with support of its anti-communist allies, including the United States). See the Vietnam War wiki article for information on records and their availability.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More