Farmington, ConnecticutEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
Farmington was originally inhabited by the Tunxis Indian tribe. In 1640, a white settlement was established by residents of Hartford, making Farmington the oldest inland settlement west of the Connecticut River and one of the oldest communities in the state. Settlers found the area ideal because of its rich soil, location along the floodplain of the Farmington River, and valley geography.
The town and river were given their present names in 1645, which is considered the incorporation year of the town. The town's boundaries were later enlarged several times, making it the largest in the Connecticut Colony.
Farmington has been called the mother of towns because its vast area was divided to produce nine other central Connecticut communities.
The borough of Unionville, in Farmington's northwest corner, was once home to many factories harnessing the water power of the Farmington River.
Farmington Probate covers Town of Farmington. Was under the jurisdiction of the Particular Court until May session, 1666; then in Hartford until January, 1769;, since then in Farmington.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News