Farndon, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A church was present on the site at the time of the survey for the Domesday Book and it is likely that Saxon churches had previously been there. The base of the tower and the plan of the church date from the 14th century although around 1622 the historian Webb described it as "a fair new church". During the civil war the church was badly damaged. In 1643 it was being used as a barracks for the Parliamentarians under Sir William Brereton when it was attacked by Royalists. During the battle the church was set on fire. It continued to be used by the Parliamentarians until 1645 when it was abandoned and left derelict. Apart from the tower the church was completely rebuilt in 1658 by William Barnston. Further restorations were carried out in the 19th and 20th centuries. The 19th century restoration was carried out by Kelly and Edwards, other than the south-east chapel which was by John Douglas.
The village of Farndon sits on the border between England and Wales (the actual border is on the bridge which crosses the river Dee and which separates Farndon and the village of Holt in Wales.) Consequently, Farndon has a Welsh name: Rhedynfre. The village was an important place historically and has been a site of conflict and cultural exchange since the Angles settled the area in the 8th century. The border moved numerous times during the following centuries, placing Farndon alternately in Wales and England.
The English name is reported to mean "Fern Hill", and has been given as Fearndune, Farndune, Ferentone, Ferendon, Faryngdon and Ferneton, amongst other variations, since its first mention in 924AD.
Today, Farndon is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241232.
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1871–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire East (1998+)
Registration events may be searched on-line at Cheshire BMD
Farndon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's = FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Farndon (1603) Parish Online Records|
|FS BT'S|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
The following records are deposited at the Record Office:
- Parish registers for Farndon, 1603-1961. CRO call number: P45/1/1-3, 2, 3/1-2, 4, 5.
- Bishop's transcripts for Farndon, 1611-1900. CRO call number: EDB 88
The following records are available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
|Parish registers content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1603-1784. Baptisms, burials, 1785-1838. Burials, 1839-1850. Marriage licences, 1829-1849.||2094112 Items 1 - 8|
|Baptisms, 1838-1906. Marriages, 1837-1961. Banns, 1824-1895. Burials, 1850-1887.||2094113 Items 5 - 9|
|Bishop's transcripts content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1611-1840 (with gaps), baptisms and burials, 1841-1874 (with gaps).||1655669 Item 2|
|Baptisms and burials, 1873-1900.||1655670 Item 1|
- Farndon, Rock Chapel (Independent/Congregational). Founded 1889.
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–71)
- Tarvin (1871–1930) Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place:
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 218, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
- Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 36, ISBN 1871731232
- Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 153–156