Farnworth, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Added to Parish Information on 3 July 2013)
(4 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 +
 +
Guide to '''Farnworth, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Farnworth St Luke is a chapelry of [[Prescot, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish in Lancashire.  
+
Farnworth (St Luke) is a '''chapelry''' of [[Prescot, Lancashire|Prescot]], hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5¾ miles (W.) from Warrington. Other places in the parish include: Bold, Widnes, Ditton, and Cronton. St Luke's Church, Farnworth, Widnes is a parish church in Farnworth which was once a separate village but which is now part of the town of Widnes, Cheshire, England. The church dates back to the 12th century and it contains a number of items of historical interest, in particular hatchments and memorials.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50957#s24 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 216-220. Date accessed: 13 August 2013.</ref>  
 
+
Other places in the parish include: Bold, Widnes, Ditton, and Cronton. St Luke's Church, Farnworth, Widnes is a parish church in Farnworth which was once a separate village but which is now part of the town of Widnes, Cheshire, England. The church dates back to the 12th century and it contains a number of items of historical interest, in particular hatchments and memorials. It is a Grade II listed building[and an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Warrington and the deanery of Widnes,<br>  
+
  
 
Farnworth is an ancient village some 2 miles (3 km) north of the River Mersey in what used to be the county of Lancashire. It has now been subsumed into the town of Widnes in the borough of Halton, in the ceremonial county of Cheshire. Around 1180 a chapel was built in the village which was dedicated to St Wilfrid. At that time the village was known as St Wilfrids-on-the-Hill. It was a chapel of ease to the mother church at Prescot. Included within its boundaries were the townships of Bold, Appleton, Cronton, Cuerdley, Ditton and Penketh.<br>Originally Farnworth was within the Mercian diocese of Lichfield but following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1541 the abbey at Chester was converted into a cathedral and Farnworth became part of the diocese of Chester. In 1859 the church was re-dedicated to St Luke and in 1880 it became a parish in the diocese of Liverpool.  
 
Farnworth is an ancient village some 2 miles (3 km) north of the River Mersey in what used to be the county of Lancashire. It has now been subsumed into the town of Widnes in the borough of Halton, in the ceremonial county of Cheshire. Around 1180 a chapel was built in the village which was dedicated to St Wilfrid. At that time the village was known as St Wilfrids-on-the-Hill. It was a chapel of ease to the mother church at Prescot. Included within its boundaries were the townships of Bold, Appleton, Cronton, Cuerdley, Ditton and Penketh.<br>Originally Farnworth was within the Mercian diocese of Lichfield but following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1541 the abbey at Chester was converted into a cathedral and Farnworth became part of the diocese of Chester. In 1859 the church was re-dedicated to St Luke and in 1880 it became a parish in the diocese of Liverpool.  
Line 12: Line 12:
  
 
There have been many changes to the church, internally and externally, over the centuries. The first extension was about 1280–1300 when the north aisle was added. Between 1360 and 1380 the south aisle was added and around this time the tower was also built. The Bold Chantry (or Chapel) was added in 1406 and in 1431 the east end was extended. In 1500 the Cuerdley chapel was added to the south of the church. This was provided by Bishop William Smyth to allow his tenants in the village of Cuerdley to attend mass without coming into contact with the people of Farnworth at a time when plague was prevalent in the area. At a restoration in 1855 the nave, the north aisle and the Bold Chapel were rebuilt, the east end of the chancel was restored and the north side of the church and the vestry were repaired. A new roof was added to the nave. Galleries were built and the organ was moved into the gallery on the west wall. This restoration was carried out by William Culshaw. Farnworth became a separate parish in 1859. The last major internal restoration took place in 1894–95 when the galleries were removed and the plaster was stripped from the walls. Two new vestries were erected on the north side of the chancel and a new organ was installed. This restoration was carried out by Paley, Austin &amp; Paley<br><br>  
 
There have been many changes to the church, internally and externally, over the centuries. The first extension was about 1280–1300 when the north aisle was added. Between 1360 and 1380 the south aisle was added and around this time the tower was also built. The Bold Chantry (or Chapel) was added in 1406 and in 1431 the east end was extended. In 1500 the Cuerdley chapel was added to the south of the church. This was provided by Bishop William Smyth to allow his tenants in the village of Cuerdley to attend mass without coming into contact with the people of Farnworth at a time when plague was prevalent in the area. At a restoration in 1855 the nave, the north aisle and the Bold Chapel were rebuilt, the east end of the chancel was restored and the north side of the church and the vestry were repaired. A new roof was added to the nave. Galleries were built and the organ was moved into the gallery on the west wall. This restoration was carried out by William Culshaw. Farnworth became a separate parish in 1859. The last major internal restoration took place in 1894–95 when the galleries were removed and the plaster was stripped from the walls. Two new vestries were erected on the north side of the chancel and a new organ was installed. This restoration was carried out by Paley, Austin &amp; Paley<br><br>  
 
"FARNWORTH,'''a parochial chapelry''','''in the parish of Prescot''', hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5¾ miles west&nbsp;from Warrington; comprising the townships of Bold, Cronton, Ditton, and Widness, which are in the union of Prescot; and the townships of Cuerdley, Penketh, and Great Sankey, which are in the union of Warrington.&nbsp;The chapel is dedicated to '''St. Wilfrid.''' There is an endowed chapel at '''Sankey''', which see.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 216-220. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50957 Adapted. Date accessed: 30 June 2010.</ref>&nbsp;
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 212: Line 210:
 
== References  ==
 
== References  ==
  
{{Reflist}}  
+
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}  
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 20:25, 20 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Farnworth, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Contents

Chapelry History

Farnworth (St Luke) is a chapelry of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5¾ miles (W.) from Warrington. Other places in the parish include: Bold, Widnes, Ditton, and Cronton. St Luke's Church, Farnworth, Widnes is a parish church in Farnworth which was once a separate village but which is now part of the town of Widnes, Cheshire, England. The church dates back to the 12th century and it contains a number of items of historical interest, in particular hatchments and memorials.[1]

Farnworth is an ancient village some 2 miles (3 km) north of the River Mersey in what used to be the county of Lancashire. It has now been subsumed into the town of Widnes in the borough of Halton, in the ceremonial county of Cheshire. Around 1180 a chapel was built in the village which was dedicated to St Wilfrid. At that time the village was known as St Wilfrids-on-the-Hill. It was a chapel of ease to the mother church at Prescot. Included within its boundaries were the townships of Bold, Appleton, Cronton, Cuerdley, Ditton and Penketh.
Originally Farnworth was within the Mercian diocese of Lichfield but following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1541 the abbey at Chester was converted into a cathedral and Farnworth became part of the diocese of Chester. In 1859 the church was re-dedicated to St Luke and in 1880 it became a parish in the diocese of Liverpool.

Over the years the church has had a number of benefactors, one of the earliest being Yorfrid the first (and in its own right the only) Baron of Widnes (the barony passed to the Barons of Halton when his daughter married William FitzNigel, the 3rd Baron of Halton). Since then, over the centuries, the main benefactors have been the Bold family of the nearby township of Bold.

There have been many changes to the church, internally and externally, over the centuries. The first extension was about 1280–1300 when the north aisle was added. Between 1360 and 1380 the south aisle was added and around this time the tower was also built. The Bold Chantry (or Chapel) was added in 1406 and in 1431 the east end was extended. In 1500 the Cuerdley chapel was added to the south of the church. This was provided by Bishop William Smyth to allow his tenants in the village of Cuerdley to attend mass without coming into contact with the people of Farnworth at a time when plague was prevalent in the area. At a restoration in 1855 the nave, the north aisle and the Bold Chapel were rebuilt, the east end of the chancel was restored and the north side of the church and the vestry were repaired. A new roof was added to the nave. Galleries were built and the organ was moved into the gallery on the west wall. This restoration was carried out by William Culshaw. Farnworth became a separate parish in 1859. The last major internal restoration took place in 1894–95 when the galleries were removed and the plaster was stripped from the walls. Two new vestries were erected on the north side of the chancel and a new organ was installed. This restoration was carried out by Paley, Austin & Paley

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

 Online Records

Church of England

Farnworth chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Prescot to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


FARNWORTH ST WILFRID Chapelry  (1538) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1538-1915 1538-1909 1727-1873, 1895-1953
LOPC 1728-1920 1600-1611, 1728-1875 1728-1812
LBMD 1837-1879 None 1837-1956
AC 1538-1612 1538-1612 1538-1612
PRESCOT ST MARY PARISH (1531) Indexes (ancient parish containing FARNWORTH Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1580-1632, 1770-1776, 1813-1828, 1861-1900 1576-1900 1770-1775, 1812-1900
LOPC 1665-1900 1667-1837, 1845-1900 1665-1900
LBMD 1837-1961 1911-1969 None
AC 1531-1666 1531-1666 1531-1666


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Farnworth and comprising the whole ancient parish of Prescot to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the PRESCOT PARISH page.


Farnworth (Widnes)- St Luke
Baptisms Transcript-1538-1698- 929.3272 F1
Baptisms Transcript-1698-1812- Archives LPRS Transcript
Baptisms Transcript-1698-1743- MFE 929.342737 Fa(767)
Burials Transcript-1538-1698- 929.3272 F1
Burials Transcript-1698-1812- Archives LPRS Transcript
Burials Transcript-1698-1743- MFE 929.342737 Fa(347)
Marriages Transcript-1538-1698- 929.3272 F1
Marriages Transcript-1698-1837- Archives LPRS Transcript

For original registers of above please enquire at Cheshire Record Office.

The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk

The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)

Parish registers for Farnworth, near Prescot, 1538-1953 Microfilm of originals in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester.
Farnworth was a chapelry (now a parish) in Prescot parish (Lancashire).Some text in Latin.
Cheshire Record Office: P283/4080/1-16, 18-34, 35-43, 47-56, 176, 258- 259, 309, 311, 313-314, 316, 321.

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1538-1728.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655233 Items 3 - 8
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1728-1812. Baptisms, 1813-Nov. 1881.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655234
Baptisms, Nov. 1881-1920. Marriages, 1754-Sept. 1834.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655235
Marriages, Sept. 1834-1857.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655236
Marriages, 1857-Mar. 1887.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655237
Marriages, Mar. 1887-1909. Banns, 1872-Feb. 1906.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655238
Banns, Feb.1906-1909. Draft Banns, 1822-1823. Burials, 1813-July 1893.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655300
Burials, July 1893-1900. Vestry books, 1673-1855. Surveys, 1736, 1727, 1702 1700, 1730.
FHL BRITISH Film
1655301 Items 1 - 8
Baptisms, 1920-1938. St. John's Mission Church baptisms, 1914-1919. Marriages, 1909-1920.
FHL BRITISH Film
2262873 Items 6 - 8
Marriages, 1920-1948. Banns of marriages, 1909-Feb. 1942.
FHL BRITISH Film
2262874
Banns of marriages, Feb. 1942-1950. Burials, 1900-1953.
FHL BRITISH Film
2262875 Items 1 - 5

Bishop's transcripts of Farnworth (near Prescot), 1604-1873. Text in Latin and English.
Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Farnworth was a chapelry (now a parish) in the parish of Prescot.

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1604-1641, 1664- 1745.
FHL BRITISH Film
1469032 Items 4-5
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1746-1818.
FHL BRITISH Film
1469033
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1819-1845.
FHL BRITISH Film
1469034
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1846-1865.
FHL BRITISH Film
1469035
Baptisms and marriages 1866-1873; burials 1865- 1873.
FHL BRITISH Film
1469036 Items 1-2


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306925.


Poor Law Unions

Prescot Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 216-220. Date accessed: 13 August 2013.