Find an ancestor using Historical RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Search for Specific Historical Records or Collections
- When searching for records, we may not know how to find the records we need. We may not even be aware that they exist.
- You will want to know as many of the following as possible:
- Name of the Record/Collection/Topic
- Location or area covered by the Record
- Time the record covers.
- Other Actions that may help to search the Wiki Use different ways to search and browse
- Example:Carlisle Indian School Records
Can you help me?
- Looking for answers to my Family History Questions I came to the Family Search Wiki and ask "Can the Wiki help me?"
- By going to the wiki and following many of these steps we can often find sources that help.
- How do I find the Carlisle Indian Industrial School?
- First go to the Main Page
- Browsed by county/ state or country and find (example: Pennsylvania). Also we can browse by topic (example: Carlisle Indian Industrial School (Pennsylvania) Picture at left)
- Clicked on a county/state or country page or topic page and this will lead to possible pages.
- You may find under Topics on the right side of the page many items to search (example American Indians) and you can then click and search.
- At the resulting page you may found a list of sources (example: Indians of Pennsylvania)
- Then within these sources you may find the item that you need (example: Carlisle Indian Industrial School (Pennsylvania))
Further Help for Beginners
- Principles of Family History Research
- Family History for Beginners
- Help:Keys to success using the Wiki
- FamilySearch Wiki:Success Stories
You can Help on the Wiki
You can help. Check out the following links for things you can do to make the Wiki a better research tool.
Group Communication and Actions
We can work together and communication is a main part of that work. Therefore we have Forums that help us work with each other. The link below is to the three forums we have specifically for the Wiki. By reading the posts and posting our own ideas and questions we can help ourselves and others understand the goals and work on the Wiki.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More