Finding a Genealogical Society in the United StatesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Here are three suggestions for finding genealogical societies in the U.S.A.:
1) Most Genealogical Societies can be found on http://www.cyndislist.com On the homepage you can search for a society or browse an alphabetical list of societies. To browse through the societies follow these steps:
- Go to http://www.cyndislist.com
- Scroll down on the homepage to the Societies and Groups section.
- Choose a letter of the alphabet and browse through the list
2) The Federation of Genealogical Societies thas over 500 societies as members. Go to http://www.fgs.org/ to identify them and to search for specific locations under “Federation Member Societies”
3) Try a Google search with the words “Genealogical Society plus area (e.g. Portland Oregon)” or Historical Society plus area. This will usually identify local specific resources.
4) You can also do a search of this site. Use the search box with a combination of the words Societies and the location of interest (e.g. Societies New York).