First Nations of CanadaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Native Americans, or American Indians, in Canada are often known as the First Nations of Canada.
Provinces and Territories
For additional information about the Indians in each of the Provinces and Territories, click on the links below:
A list of Annual Reports, including Canadian government agencies responsible for Indian affairs over the years, can be found at Library and Archives of Canada
- 1796 May 31, at New York with the Seven Nations of Canada
Three resources that may be helpful in the search for your Canadian Indian ancestry include:
- A reference work that provides a history of the major Indian tribes of Canada is
- Jenness, Diamond. Indians of Canada. Ottawa, Canada: National Museum of Canada, 1967. Seventh Edition. Family History Library Catalog book 970.1 J435i (no film) www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp
- A list of Native Tribes of Canada can be viewed at http://www.dickshovel.com/trbindex.html
- Another Wiki article that may be helpful is Finding the Tribe or Band of a Canadian Aboriginal (American Indian)
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More