Floyd County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than a dozen family history books and articles have been published about Floyd County's families.
- Main article: Floyd County, Virginia
- Floyd County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum. (0+ messages)
- Floyd - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry. (0+ messages)
Floyd County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 0 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Floyd County families include:
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers: From the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782, Covers Parts of Present-day Counties of Montgomery, Bath, Giles, Floyd, Alleghany, Roanoke, Craig and Monroe. Troutville, Va.: n.p., 1979?. FHL Fiche 6015637-6015638.
- Shelor, Sue Jefferson. Pioneers and Their Coat of Arms of Floyd County: Genealogies of Prominent Early Settlers of the Blue Ridge Plateau of Virginia. Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter Publishing, 1961. FHL Book 929.273 Sh44s.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Cox] Peterson, Dorothy Burnett. Blue Ridge Heritage; Burnett, Branscome, Hylton, Cox, Slaughter and Related Families. Memphis, Tenn.: Roblee Press, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 B934p.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 6 Includes Floyd County.
- [Howell] Roseberry, Greg E. The Elbert Howell -- Bertha Burnop Family of Floyd, Smyth, and Montgomery Counties, Virginia: Including the Burnop, Duncan, Fischbach, Hanks, Heimbach, Holtzclaw, Howell, Hylton, Morricle, Otterbach, Pratt, Stuell, Vaughan, and Weddle Families. Lincoln, Neb.: Writers Club Press, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 H839rg.
- [Keith] King, Larry. Keith Kinfolks. Descendants of James Keith, Sr., From 1720 to 1979. Hendersonville, Tenn., 1979. FHL Book 929.273 K269a.
- [Lester] Tise, Marguerite. The Lester Family of Floyd County and Montgomery County, Virginia. Floyd, Va.: M. Tise, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 L567t; FHL Book 929.273 L567t 1997.
- [Light] Vaughn, Onie W. "Light Family Sketch," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 13 (Feb. 1980):15-17. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Link] McNeil, Maynard W. Genealogy of the Link Family of Floyd County, Virginia. Washington, N.J.: M. McNeil, 1990. FHL Film 1697501 Item 19.
- [Peterman] Tise, Marguerite. The Peterman Family of Floyd and Montgomery Counties Virginia. Floyd, Va.: M. Tise, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 P442tm.
- [Reed] Randers-Pehrson, Nancy Mae Little and Glenn Randers-Pehrson. The John Marchel and Anne Cora (Nichols) Reed Family: of Franklin and Floyd Counties, Virginia, and Harford and Cecil Counties, Maryland. Edgewood, Maryland: N.M. & G. Randers-Pehrson, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 R251rp.
- [Slusher] See Turman.
- [Smith] McNeil, Maynard W., Luther N. Byrd, and Ethel Simmons Pell. The Smith Family of Botetourt and Floyd Counties, Va. and Surrey and Stokes Counties, N.C.: Descendants of Absolem and Humphrey Smith. Washington, New Jersey: M.W. McNeil, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 5983.
- [Turman] King, Hatcher and Alta King. Turman and Slusher Genealogy, 1757-1974: Christopher Slusher Sr., Wife, Eva, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, Fredrick, Washington Counties, Maryland, Montgomery, Floyd Counties, Virginia. MSS., FHL Book 962558 Item 1 etc.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More