Ford County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Ford County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 17, 1859|
|Address|| Ford County, Illinois Courthouse|
200 West State Street
Paxton, Illinois 60957
Ford County Organization
Ford County's civil records start the following years:
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Adams County are kept, see the Ford County Courthouse page.
Ford County is named for Thomas Ford, the eighth Governor of Illinois.
- 17 February 1859: Ford County was created from Clark County. 
Note:An earlier attempt to create Holmes County (proposed), on 31 January 1857 in the same general area, was unsuccessful. (Ill. Laws 1859, pub., pp. 29-33) (source:Newberry Library}
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
- Ford Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
For information and tips on using and accessing online census records, see Illinois Census.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Ford County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ford County.
- - 76th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ford County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News