Fountain County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Fountain County Courthouse
301 4th St; PO Box 183
Covington, IN 47932
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1885.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1827, divorce, probate
and court records from 1830.
County Recorder has land records from 1828. 
For tips on accessing Fountain County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Fountain County, Indiana (1880) (members only databae, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Businesses in Fountain County, Indiana (1858, 1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Beckwith, H. W., P. S. Kennedy, and Thomas Fleming Davidson. 1970. History of Fountain County, together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley: gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence, and other authentic sources. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic) 977.247 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Portrait and biographical record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain Counties, Indiana containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States. (1893. Chicago: Chapman Bros.) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
War of 1812
Moyer, Edward,Fountain County, Indiana Military (Veedersburg, Indiana: Fountain County Genealogy Society, c2009-2009 2 Volumes FHL Books 977.247Me
Civil War service men from Fountain County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fountain County
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized B
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized G
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies G, I, and Reorganized G, H, and I
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D, and Reorganized K
- 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and I
- 63rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, C, E, and H
- 72nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 116th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Companies C, and D
- 135th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- 142nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 147th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 150th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies I, and K
- 154th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, C, G, and H
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- Salts, Walter. 1980. Fountain County, Indiana, draft call of 1864. (Indiana?: W. Salts?.) 977.2 A1 no. 218 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Fountain County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fountain County, Indiana 212 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).