Franklin County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Franklin County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1837|
|Address|| Franklin County Courthouse|
211 W Commercial Street
Ozark, AR 72949
See an interactive map of Franklin County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
There are no known marriage records from Franklin County between 1837 and late in 1849, apparently the first marriage book must have been destroyed.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Family Maps of Franklin County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union) and the 7th Regiment, Arkansas Militia.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1850-1951 - Franklin County Marriage Books A-Q, 2-4 (including both Ozark and Charleston locations) Index 1850-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1850-1931 - Franklin County Marriage Books A-J Index 1850-1931 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Arkansas Genealogy
- Franklin County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), pp. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.