Franklin County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Franklin County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1794|
Franklin County Kentucky Courthouse
Phone: 502-564-7013 or 502-564-8380
Franklin County Kentucky History
1790--Franklin County was part of Jefferson, Woodford, and Mercer Counties.
1795--Franklin County was created.
1800--Franklin County included part of Anderson and Owen Counties. A section of Franklin County was included in Shelby County.
1810--Same as 1800.
1820--Franklin County included part of Anderson County. A small section of Franklin County was located in Henry County.
1830--The boundaries of Franklin County are permanently established.
Franklin County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Benson||Forks of Elkhorn||Hodge (hist.)||Peaks Mill|
|Big Eddy||Fox Gap (hist.)||Honeysuckle (hist.)||Polsgrove|
|Bon Air Hills||Flag Fork||Indian Hills||Roberts (hist.)|
|Bridgeport||Frankfort||Jett||Shadrick Ferry (hist.)|
|Bryant||Gibbs Road (hist.)||Kennebec||Slickway|
|Elmville||Glore (hist.)||Knights (hist.)||Swallowfield|
|Elsinore||Gregory (hist.)||Lucas Lane (hist.)||Woodlake|
|Evergreen||Harp (hist.)||Mount Zion (hist.)|
Franklin County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
- Bellardo, Lewis J. "Frankfort, Kentucky, Census of Free Blacks, 1842," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 63, No. 4 (Dec. 1975):272-275. Digital version at NGS website ($); FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 63
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Franklin Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Franklin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Franklin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Franklin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Cemetery records in Franklin County, Kentucky are difficult to find. A good source to search is Franklin County GenWeb Kentucky site
- Frankfort Cemetery, Frankfort BillionGraves
- Frankfort State Hospital Cemetery, Frankfort BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- A good resource for information concerning people living in the Forks of the Elkhorn area is:
- Darnell, Ermina Jett. Forks of Elkhorn Church. Louisville, Kentucky : Standard Printing Co., 1946.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Brown] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [Catlett] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Clarke] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [de Graffenried] de Graffenried, Thomas Pritchett. History of the de Graffenried Family from 1191 A.D. to 1925. Binghampton, N.Y.: Vail-Ballou Press, 1925. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Book 929.273 G758g.
- [Head] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [Julian] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Long] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [McAndre] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [Major] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 24th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company H
- - 30th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 30th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 30th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E
- - 30th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company F
- - 30th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 32nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company B
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company C
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company G
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company K
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company F
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- The Kentucky Historical Society, in Frankfort, Kentucky, has a great newspaper collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1785-1880 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1785-1880) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1801 - 1801 Tax List of Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Franklin County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517341 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Franklin County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517342 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Franklin County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517343 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Franklin County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517341 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Franklin County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517344 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Franklin County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517345 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- Births begin in 1852
- Marriages begin in 1795
- Deaths begin in 1852
The Family History Library has copies of the vital records starting with above dates.
To order vital records from Franklin County, you may order online at:
Franklin County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Paul Sawyier Library (Frankfort): http://www.pspl.org/
Kentucky Historical Society (Frankfort): http://history.ky.gov/
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (Frankfort): http://www.kdla.ky.gov/
- Bald Knob
- Forks of the Elkhorn
- Frankfort City
- Peaks Mill
Family History Centers
Franklin County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Franklin County, Kentucky: http://courts.ky.gov/counties/Franklin/
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Franklin County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.