Franklin County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Franklin County Courthouse
218 St. Clair St.
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Franklin County Courthouse
P.O. Box 678
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-0678
502-564-7013 or 502-564-8380
Boundary Changes 
1790--Franklin County was part of Jefferson, Woodford, and Mercer Counties.
1795--Franklin County was created.
1800--Franklin County included part of Anderson and Owen Counties. A section of Franklin County was included in Shelby County.
1810--Same as 1800.
1820--Franklin County included part of Anderson County. A small section of Franklin County was located in Henry County.
1830--The boundaries of Franklin County are permanently established.
Places / Localities
|Benson||Forks of Elkhorn||Hodge (hist.)||Peaks Mill|
|Big Eddy||Fox Gap (hist.)||Honeysuckle (hist.)||Polsgrove|
|Bon Air Hills||Flag Fork||Indian Hills||Roberts (hist.)|
|Bridgeport||Frankfort||Jett||Shadrick Ferry (hist.)|
|Bryant||Gibbs Road (hist.)||Kennebec||Slickway|
|Elmville||Glore (hist.)||Knights (hist.)||Swallowfield|
|Elsinore||Gregory (hist.)||Lucas Lane (hist.)||Woodlake|
|Evergreen||Harp (hist.)||Mount Zion (hist.)|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Franklin County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Franklin Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Franklin County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Franklin County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Cemetery records in Franklin County, Kentucky are difficult to find. A good source to search is Franklin County GenWeb Kentucky site
- The Kentucky Historical Society has an online Cemetery Database.
A good resource for information concerning people living in the Forks of the Elkhorn area is:
- Darnell, Ermina Jett. Forks of Elkhorn Church. Louisville, Kentucky : Standard Printing Co., 1946.
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
The Kentucky Historical Society, in Frankfort, Kentucky, has a great newspaper collection.
- Births begin in 1852
- Marriages begin in 1795
- Deaths begin in 1852
The Family History Library has copies of the vital records starting with above dates.
To order vital records from Franklin County, you may order online at:
Societies and Libraries
Paul Sawyier Library (Frankfort): http://www.pspl.org/
Kentucky Historical Society (Frankfort): http://history.ky.gov/
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (Frankfort): http://www.kdla.ky.gov/
- Bald Knob
- Forks of the Elkhorn
- Frankfort City
- Peaks Mill
- Franklin County, Kentucky: http://courts.ky.gov/counties/Franklin/
- Family History Library Catalog
- Franklin County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More