Franklin County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Franklin County, Mississippi|
| Map of Mississippi highlighting Franklin County|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Address|| P O Box 297|
Meadville, MS 39653
Brief History (Pre-1817) of Franklin County, Mississippi, USGenWeb for Franklin County, Mississippi
- 01 Mar 1808 Mississippi Territory authorized the creation of Franklin County from Wilkinson County, but the creation never took effect and it was not mapped. (HRS Miss., St. and Co., 17)
- 21 Dec 1809 Franklin was created by the Mississippi Territory from Adams, Amite, and Wilkinson counties. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 97)
- 22 Dec 1809 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 03 Dec 1810 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. FRANKLIN boundary with WILKINSON was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Terr. Stat., p. 99)
- 09 Dec 1811 FRANKLIN lost to creation of MARION. (Miss. Terr. Stat., pp. 104-105)
- 12 Feb 1819 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1819, 1st sess., p. 14)
- 29 Jun 1822 FRANKLIN gained from JEFFERSON. (Miss. Laws 1821-1822, 5th sess. adj., p. 274)
- 21 Jan 1823 FRANKLIN lost to JEFFERSON and lost to creation of COPIAH. (Miss. Laws 1822-1823, 6th sess., ch. 36/p. 100 and ch. 49, secs. 1, 7/pp. 117-118)
- 07 Apr 1870 FRANKLIN lost to creation of LINCOLN. FRANKLIN boundary with AMITE was redefined [no change]. (Miss. Laws 1870, reg. sess., ch. 55, secs. 1-2, 8/pp. 129, 132)
- 10 May 1871 FRANKLIN lost to AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1871, reg. sess., ch. 264/p. 647)
- 04 Apr 1873 FRANKLIN gained from AMITE. (Miss. Laws 1873, reg. sess., ch. 50/p. 202)
- 09 Feb 1875 FRANKLIN gained from LINCOLN. (Miss. Laws 1875, reg. sess., ch. 29/p. 56)
See Mississippi: Individual County Chronologies, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
1877--Some records were lost.
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Civil War service men from Franklin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Franklin County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Stockdale Rangers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Franklin Rifles
- Company K - Quitman Rifles
- Company E - Franklin Beauregards
- 1816-1899 - Marriages On-Line Index: Franklin County, Mississippi. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback